It is a proven fact that consuming yogurt for weight loss is an effective and nutritious option. According to WebMD, adding yogurt to your diet may rev up your body’s fat-burning engines, speed weight loss, and trim your tummy.
Yogurt is a nutrient-rich food that benefits various body functions. In addition to bringing calcium to the bones, it contains probiotics or “live cultures” that repopulate the intestinal microbiota, to obtain better digestibility.
On the other hand, it is a very versatile ingredient, which can be included in the diet in many ways.
Although the ideal is to eat it naturally, it can also be the substitute for some condiments and sauces for main meals.
The yogurt diet is a balanced nutrition program, which is not based solely on the consumption of this dairy product.
Although we often hear about miraculous diets of the same name, the yogurt diet that we propose today is a balanced model, which gives better results without compromising health.
Yogurt For Weight Loss – Benefits of the Yogurt Diet
There are many reasons to choose the yogurt diet as an alternative to lose weight more easily.
- First, a varied and safe nutrition plan is proposed, combining ingredients with a high nutritional supply for the body.
- On the other hand, it reduces the number of calories ingested per day, but it does not get to the low calorie or extreme limit.
- Since yogurt has a prolonged satiating effect, it prevents anxious hunger and helps not to steal snacks between meals.
- This food is a particularly important source of B complex vitamins, calcium, magnesium and essential amino acids, the assimilation of which protects various vital functions.
- To be more specific, it regulates the nervous system, takes care of bones and protects muscle health.
- Among other things, its lactic acid regulates the intestinal pH and promotes the growth of “good” bacteria, which fortify the immune system.
- Therefore, this diet is perfect for increasing defenses and promoting the reduction of some infections.
Characteristics of the yogurt diet
The yogurt diet aims to complete a balanced feeding program, especially with different portions of this dairy product.
However, considering that all excesses are negative, it is recommended to follow it only for 5 or 7 days.
In this period, you need to choose ingredients with few calories, as long as the body’s nutritional needs are respected. Furthermore, the sources of sugars, simple carbohydrates and saturated fats must be excluded.
You are allowed to eat the following food items in yogurt diet
- Vegetables and fresh fruit
- Lean meats and fish
- Whole grains and legumes
- Dried fruit and seeds
- Low fat cheeses
You are not allowed to eat the following food items in yogurt diet
- Red meats and sausages
- Packaged foods and snacks
- Pre-cooked or leftover meals
- Bread and pastry
- Juices and sugary drinks
- Sweets and derivatives
A few other considerations should also be kept in mind
- Eat five meals a day: three main meals and two snacks.
- In addition to this, consume plenty of water between meals – at least 6 and 8 glasses.
- Avoid fried foods in general. Bake, steam or boil food instead.
- Choose natural skimmed yogurt, free of added sugar and flavorings.
Recommended menus for the yogurt diet
The menus included in the yogurt diet are simple examples of how you should follow this food plan. However, everyone is free to vary the main meals with the healthy foods they prefer.
- A jar of natural yoghurt, toast with jam and fruit to taste
- Two slices of bread with light jam, half a cup of natural yogurt and a portion of apple.
- A cup of herbal tea, two whole-wheat toasts with avocado and natural yogurt.
Mid-morning meal options
- Half a cup of plain yogurt with a handful of dried fruit (about 20 to 30 grams).
- Fruit salad mixed with yogurt.
- Natural yogurt smoothie with berries.
- A plate of green salad with yogurt sauce and diced chicken breast.
- Chicken fillets accompanied by a yogurt salad with cucumber and celery.
- Whole wheat pasta dish with yogurt sauce and crab meat.
- A jar of skimmed yogurt and two whole-wheat biscuits.
- Half a cup of strawberries with natural yogurt.
- Natural yogurt with chia seeds.
- Portion of baked fish, steamed vegetables and slice of whole-wheat bread with yogurt.
- French omelet with three slices of turkey and two slices of pineapple with yogurt.
- Mushroom and shrimp pie and fruit bowl with yogurt.
Is yogurt an ally of the waistline?
If consumed correctly, yogurt helps to keep us healthy and also keeps the waistline in check. It provides a large amount of minerals such as calcium, useful for bones. It also ensures many vitamins: H, perfect for the health of hair and nails; PP, precious for digestive functions; and those of group B, involved in immune processes. In addition, it provides noble proteins, essential for building muscles and essential fatty acids such as Omega 3, which promote heart, arterial and brain health.
Which is the best yogurt for those on a diet?
Whole white yogurt ensures all macronutrients (carbohydrates, lipids and proteins) and is more nutritionally complete than the other types. Furthermore, compared to the lean one which provides more sugar, it gives a greater sense of satiety, useful for those who are on a diet or have a few extra pounds to lose.
Is cow or goat yogurt better?
Compared to cow’s milk, goat yogurt is more digestible. In fact, it provides lipids that are more easily digested by the intestine. However, you must pay attention to the label on the package. Some types can bring more calories and fat.
Is Greek yogurt better or Icelandic?
Greek yogurt and Icelandic yogurt called Skyr, which is actually a cheese, share many properties, such as the richness of vitamins. Skyr, however, has the advantage of having less fat and more protein. Both can be safely consumed by those on a diet.
How to choose the best yogurt for weight loss?
The ideal is to choose yogurt that has the shortest list of ingredients. It must contain only milk and live cultures.
Instead, those containing added sugar such as fructose should be avoided, which on the label can be indicated with the words “fruit sugar” or “grape juice”.
Those who are on a diet or need to lose a few extra pounds should then avoid the types that contain fruit or cereals, various flavors, glucose or fructose syrup and preservatives
Also pay attention to the nutritional values. The advice is to choose a yogurt that has a quantity of carbohydrates and sugars not exceeding 5-6 grams and that provides 50 to 65 kilocalories per 100 grams.
And finally, it is important to dwell on the expiration date. As it gets closer, the number of good bacteria present in the product decreases and, consequently, the benefits of this product are reduced.
The yogurt diet is a balanced nutrition program with many benefits for weight and digestion. It does not cause deficiencies and does not endanger health.
Are you trying to lose weight and don’t know how to start? Choose the yogurt diet. As you can see, it easy-to-follow options that don’t involve starving. Of course, as soon as you finish it, continue eating healthy, to avoid recovering the lost pounds.
- Smoothie Recipes for Weight Loss: Best Breakfast Smoothies
- Exercises to Lose Weight Fast at Home
- Detox Water For Flat Belly – 10 Delicious Recipes To Try
- Healthy Breakfast Sandwich Recipes
- Healthy Homemade Drinks for the Summer
Loved our blog on Yogurt For Weight Loss? Do share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.