When purchasing a new refrigerator for your home, you may have wondered, ‘what is star rating in refrigerator and why should you know it?’ Much like the purchase of any household appliance, you may have conducted ample research to find the right fridge for your home, but yet cannot understand the importance and meaning of the energy efficiency star rating system. Not to worry! In this blog, you will find all the information you need about the star rating system for refrigerators, and will understand the pros and cons of fridges at different star rating points.
Considering the number of excellent refrigerator brands there are in India, it is essential you know what to look for in your appliance. One such aspect of every appliance you must keep in mind is energy efficiency. It is a necessity in all modern households, while also being great for the environment, which is why there are systems in place, such as ‘star rating,’ to help you differentiate the most energy efficient refrigerator from the least.
Wondering why you should know the star rating of your appliance? Questioning the difference between 3-star and 5-star fridges? Make sure you continue reading to understand what is star rating in refrigerator, continue reading the blog below.
What is Star Rating in Refrigerator –
In India, the star rating is a voluntary energy efficiency certification program operated by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE). The goal of the program is to reduce power consumption and greenhouse gas emissions by encouraging the use of energy-efficient appliances. Star-rated appliances are required to display their energy rating prominently, so that consumers can make informed choices when purchasing new products. To date, over 2,000 models of refrigerators have been certified under the program.
In general, refrigerators with higher star ratings are more energy-efficient than those with lower ratings. As a result, they tend to cost less to operate over the long term. For example, a five-star rated refrigerator will consume about 25% less electricity than a three-star model. Given the potential for significant savings, it is well worth considering the star rating when shopping for a new refrigerator in India.
The big energy rating label is used for is intended for appliances that are used frequently and require a lot of electricity. These labels include information such as the product’s annual energy consumption, brand name, product category, and much more.
The Various Ratings From 1-5
If you’re looking for an energy-efficient refrigerator, you’ll want to choose a model with a high star rating. Indian refrigerators are rated from 1 to 5 stars, with 1 star being the lowest rating.
A 1-star refrigerator consumes 487 kWh annually, making it one of the most expensive options in the long run. However, it’s important to note that the initial purchase price of a 1-star refrigerator is usually lower than that of a higher-rated model. When deciding which refrigerator is right for you, consider both the short-term and long-term costs. Single star rating equipment is consumption heavy, meaning it utilizes too much electricity and can significantly increase your bill.
If you are looking for a more energy-efficient refrigerator, you may want to consider a model with a 2-star rating. These refrigerators use less electricity than their 1-star counterparts, saving you money on your energy bills. Additionally, 2-star models often have higher price tags, so you may want to consider this factor when purchasing.
A 3 star refrigerator is an excellent investment for those looking to save on energy costs. These refrigerators use far less energy than their 2-star counterparts, consuming only 311 kWh per year. This reduction in energy usage can help to save money on monthly bills. Over time, the upfront cost of the refrigerator will be more than made up for in savings.
In addition to being more energy-efficient, a 3 star refrigerator also tends to be more reliable and has a longer lifespan. As such, they are an excellent choice for those looking for a long-term investment.
Some of the most common ratings in devices are 3-star and 5-star. Continue reading to learn more about the difference between 3 star and 5 star ratings!
A 4-star rating refrigerator consumes approximately 249 kWh an year, which is significantly low. These refrigerators have a higher upfront cost but are cheaper in the long run. The sticker has four red stars on it, so one can quickly identify these refrigerators.
Some of the features that distinguish this type of refrigerator include its ability to maintain consistent temperatures, its frost-free design, and its advanced cooling technology. While 4-star rating refrigerators may cost more upfront, they can ultimately save consumers money on their energy bills. For those looking for a high-quality, energy-efficient refrigerator, a 4-star rating model is an excellent option.
A 5-star rating refrigerator is the best energy saver. It consumes 199 kWh per year, quickly calculating how much energy it saves per year. Though they are the most costly ones, people aware of the star rating usually go for the best 5 star refrigerator. It saves energy, but it is also a great appliance to have in your home, especially compared to lower star refrigerators. Most commonly people choose a 3 star fridge or 5-star fridge. To know the difference between 3 star and 5 star appliances, ensure you read this section of the blog thoroughly.
Why You Should Purchase an Energy Efficient Refrigerator?
In today’s world, it’s more important than ever to be energy efficient. Refrigerators use a lot of energy, especially since we keep them switched on all the time. It’s essential to choose one that is energy efficient. There are many benefits to having an energy-efficient refrigerator.
They use less electricity, which means they save you money on your electric bill. They also run more quietly and don’t produce as much heat, so they’re better for the environment. And, because they use less energy, they help conserve the earth’s resources. Here’s an example table to show an approximate of how much money you can save by purchasing a higher energy rating refrigerator (these are the approx savings on a 250 litres refrigerator) –
As you can see, the yearly savings between a 2-star refrigerator and a 5-star refrigerator are very apparent. When shopping for a new refrigerator, you may be overwhelmed by all of the different options on the market. However, it would be best to consider whether or not the fridge is 3 – 5 star certified. By choosing an energy-efficient fridge, you can be sure that you’re making a wise investment in both your kitchen and your wallet.
What is Star Rating In Refrigerator – FAQs
Which is better 3-star fridge or 5-star fridge?
Yearly unit consumption in refrigerators for each additional star in star rating is about 100-150 units per year. A 3-star rated refrigerator will consume about 100-150 units more than a 4-star. Similarly, a 4-star rated refrigerator will consume 100-150 units more than a 5-star per year. Suppose we take an average tariff of Rs 5 per unit. In that case, it converts to Rs 500 – Rs 750 difference in operational cost, so we often recommend purchasing a 5-star refrigerator.
Want to understand what is star rating in refrigerator actually is? Make sure you read the blog above.
Which star rating is best for refrigerator ?
The answer is simple: 5-star refrigerators! 5-star refrigerators are more expensive to purchase. A five-star refrigerator has a more efficient compressor and is better insulated to prevent heat loss, making them highly energy-efficient. A five-star refrigerator is pricey, but it saves a lot of money on electricity bills and is long-lasting.
What is Star Rating In Refrigerator – Conclusion
In today’s date there are many models of refrigerators available, including those that are incredibly affordable. However, before you rush in to purchase just any model, remember to keep essential factors in mind. As explained above, one of these is knowing what is star rating in refrigerator. Depending on your budget, you can purchase a fridge with a high star rating and therefore save both money and the environment. Keep the above information in mind, and you will find yourself satisfied with your purchase. Happy Shopping!
Other Refrigerator Blogs
Refrigerator Buying Guide
Refrigerator By Features
- Best Refrigerator With Bottom Freezer
- 10 Best Refrigerators Without Freezer
- Best Double Door Refrigerator
- Best Refrigerator Above 500 Litres
- Top 5 Best Multi Door Refrigerators
- Best 5 Star Refrigerator In India
Refrigerator By Types
- LG 360 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Haier Fridge Review – Is Haier a Reliable Brand?
- Whirlpool Protton 330L 3 Door Refrigerator Review
- Haier 8 in 1 Convertible Refrigerator Review
- Panasonic 584 Litres Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- LG 687 L Frost Free Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- Bosch 559 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Voltas Beko Refrigerator Review
- Hisense Fridge Review
- MarQ Refrigerator Review
- Bosch Refrigerator Review
- Why Refrigerator Is Not Cooling?
- Why Is My Refrigerator Making Noise?
- Why Is The Refrigerator Not Dispensing Water?
- Common Refrigerator Problems
- Refrigerator Not Making Ice [Causes & Solutions]
- Refrigerator Starts And Stops Frequently [Causes & Solutions]
- Vegetables Freezing In Refrigerator [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge Compressor Not Working [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge not Cooling but Freezer Works [Fix]
- Fridge is not Cooling but the Light is On [Fix]
- Why is Fridge Light Not Working? [Fix]
Refrigerator By Brands
- 10 Best LG Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Hitachi Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Samsung Refrigerator
- LG Refrigerator Double Door 5 Star Latest Model
- Best Refrigerator Under 30000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 15000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 20000
- Top 10 Best Refrigerator Brands
- What to Keep in Mini Fridge?
- Best Storage Containers for Refrigerators
- Guide On How to Adjust Refrigerator Temperature Control
- What is Inverter Technology in Refrigerator?
- How Many Units of Electricity Consumed by Refrigerator?
- What is Frost Free Refrigerator?
- What is Smart Refrigerator?
- What is Coolpad in Refrigerator?
- What Is the Right Noise Level of Refrigerator?
- How To Clean A Refrigerator?
- How To Organise The Refrigerator?
- How to use the refrigerator?
- What is Convertible Refrigerator?
- Where to Keep Refrigerator?
- Best Stabiliser for Refrigerator
- How Does Refrigerator Works?
- What Food Items Do You Preserve in a Refrigerator?
- What is Defrosting in Refrigerator?
- Know which Gas is Used in Refrigerator?
- What is a Direct Cool Refrigerator?
- How Long Do Refrigerators Last?
- Different Parts of Refrigerator
- What is French Door Refrigerator?