Looking to buy a double door fridge for your home or office? You are at the right place. Here we have covered top 11 best double door refrigerators in India. Top fridges from best brands like LG, Samsung, Haier, Godrej, and Whirlpool have been covered in this article.
We have covered fridges of capacity from 200L to around 400L. You will find options near 250L, 300L as well. To calculate the approx. the capacity you need, you should multiply the number of family members by 70-80. So for 2 members, around 160L is enough, for 3-4 members you need a fridge of capacity around 240 to 280L. For a large family of 5 members, go for a fridge with 300-400L capacity. The price of refrigerators in this list varies from Rs. 15000 to Rs. 40000. So if you are looking for a fridge under 20000, 25000, 30000 or 35000, you will find it here.
In this article, we have covered only double door refrigerators, if you are looking for a single door fridge at a price of around 10000 to 15000 then take a look at our list of best single door refrigerators in India. Below you will find a brief review of every refrigerator with its specifications and pros cons. Price and buy links are also provided to Amazon and Flipkart. Prices keep changing so please check latest price by clicking on links provided.
Refrigerators have long been thought of as a luxury, and buying one was a thing for the rich. But times have changed, and refrigerators have now become a necessity. A modern-day kitchen cannot exist and function without one. Apart from offering chilled water and ice, refrigerators also help in preserving the freshness and nutrition content of food items like vegetables, fruits, beverages like milk and juices and dairy products. While the reinvention of the refrigerator comes with an overwhelming abundance of new models to choose from, the double-door model is extremely popular.
Here’s the List of Top 10 Best Double Door Refrigerators in India
Buying Guide – Best Double Door Refrigerators
Choosing the right refrigerator to suit your requirements is a tough job. It is because you have a wide range of options available to you. The prominent brands available in the market are,
Each model has its benefits and disadvantages. We have seen the features of some of the most popular refrigerators in our discussion above. Let us now focus on choosing the ideal double-door refrigerator for your family.
The size of the family
Determine the size of the family. Usually, couples and 3-member families can opt for the smaller refrigerators. A family with 4 to 5 members should ideally choose for the fridge in the range of 260 to 350 litres. Hence, a double-door refrigerator is the right option for them.
Frost free refrigerators
The single door refrigerators work on the Direct Cool technology. Hence, they require manual defrosting. The double-door refrigerators are frost free refrigerators. There are various fans inside the fridge that enable the cold air to spread throughout the appliance. It does not work on the principles of evaporation and condensation. Therefore, there is no formation of frost on the insides of the freezer chambers.
Different types of refrigerators / fridge
The basic function of all the refrigerators remains the same. It contains a refrigerant which absorbs the heat from the articles kept inside and transfers it to the surroundings (this is why it is advisable to keep a refrigerator at least 6 inches away from any obstruction).
Refrigerators can be broadly classified into these categories:
- Direct Cool Refrigerators – Also called as Single door refrigerator, as these have only one door on them. The freezer is inside the refrigerator. One thing which is attributed to this kind of refrigerators is that they tend to form frost in the freezer in a matter of a few days on continuous use (depends on the usage). In a single door refrigerator, the refrigerant passes near the freezer first to maximise the cooling in the freezer. These refrigerators are available in the capacity only upto 300 Litres and not more than that. So if you are looking to buy a refrigerator with more capacity, single door refrigerators are not for you.
- Frost-free refrigerator – As the name suggests, they prevent the formation of frost in the freezer consequently providing convenience of not switching of the refrigerator to remove ice, hence the name ‘frost-free’. They have a small pre-installed heating element which prevents the formation of frost in the freezer. However, this heating element also consumes electricity thus increasing the electricity consumption of the refrigerator. The minimum capacity in this type of refrigerators is 240 Litres. Frost free refrigerators can be further divided into the following types:
- Top mount refrigerator – In this, the freezer is on the top and the fridge is beneath it. It is very common in household now-a-days. It is popularly known as Double Door Refrigerator.
- Bottom top refrigerator – Its again a double door refrigerator in which the freezer is below the fridge. It is gaining grounds as the user does not need to bend to put or take out articles in/from the fridge. As the refrigerator is used more often than the freezer in a household, this offers a good alternative to the existing refrigerators. These refrigerators consume more energy than Top mount refrigerator.
- Multi-door refrigerator – There are more than two doors in a multi-door refrigerator. There are different doors/drawers to access different sections of the same refrigerator. Needless to say, its electricity consumption is higher too.
- Side by side refrigerator – Side by side refrigerators offer ever more space and flexibility. It usually is double door, one door provides access to the freezer and the other to the fridge. There are some models in this category that have attached water dispenser or ice dispenser wherein one can directly obtain chilled water or ice without opening the door of the refrigerator. Since they provide an altogether separate space of the size equal to the fridge itself, it is needless to say that the electricity consumption is higher, and so is the cost of buying it. The water and ice dispensers may further add to electricity consumption as it may provide some space for leakage of air inside the refrigerator.
In addition to the types mentioned above, there are some technologies which are being introduced in the refrigerators now-a-days:
- Inverter Technology is the most promising technology available in market these days. This technology not only improves energy efficiency (electricity consumption), but it also keeps temperature more consistent thereby keeping food fresh for long. It saves 20-40% of electricity as compared to regular compressors. To know more about Inverter Technology Refrigerators, click this link: Refrigerators with Inverter technology can help save electricity
- There are some models of refrigerators in which you are provided with an option to convert the freezer to the refrigerator if and when you have more requirement of storage space in the refrigerator.
- There is one path-breaking technology which has been doing rounds in the refrigerators lately. It concerns keeping the contents of the refrigerator cool even during a power cut. There are a few variants available in the market depending on the brand concerned. For instance, LG Durachill has a feature of ensuring the coolness of the contents of the freezer for 2 hours during power cut. Another variant, LG Power Cut Evercool is a step further. It keeps the contents of the fridge as well as the freezer cool for 7 hours during power cuts. The prices of these variants are higher than the regular ones.
Benefits of double door refrigerators:
Double-door refrigerators provide many benefits of the customers:
- Double-door refrigerators have a superior storage capacity. Average usable space is generally between 230 to 700 Litres.
- They come with an enhanced cooling technology that helps preserve fruits and vegetables and keeps them fresh for a longer period.
- Double-door refrigerators are equipped with frost free technology. This ensures that there is no frost build-up in the freezer, and therefore no need to manually defrost it.
- By providing a separate compartment for freezing, double-door refrigerators provide a larger cooling space. This also results in an effective and efficient cooling since every time the fridge is opened, the freezer does not open.
- Before of their superior storage capacity and larger shelf size, double-door refrigerators are ideal for a family of 4-5 members.
- Design wise, double-door refrigerators have multiple door baskets and adjustable shelf racks. While multiple door baskets help in organising fruits and vegetables in separate baskets, adjustable glass shelves allow for altering the shelf size depending upon the dimensions of the utensil or commodity that needs to be kept.
- The shelves are made from toughened glass. This makes them stronger, more durable and less prone to cracking and breakage.
Things to keep in mind while buying a refrigerator
Since the market is open with so many options finding the one which is perfect for you could be taxing. Here’s why we need to go through few points that make any purchase decision. Investing in a refrigerator is a big financial decision and this appliance is used on a daily basis and is required for the long run.
- Any product you buy should be energy efficient that comes with an energy star rating as it is good for the environment and even good for your pocket. It can simply save 20% of energy at an average. Products with good energy rating can significantly reduce your bills and are environment-friendly.
- Products made with good material like stainless variants though come at a higher cost but they’re timeless and easy to maintain in the long run.
- You must select the fridge as per the size of your family and your requirements. Generally, double door refrigerator support 3 to 4 family members while the door to door refrigerators usually gave a storage space for up to six people.
- The type of defrosting also matters as it can be fully automatic, semi-automatic or frost free. Both automatic and semi-automatic requires de-freezing to be done by hand whereas cyclical defrosting is activated only after 8 hours.
- Choose one with an inbuilt thermostat, heater, timer and a defrost cycle is automatically activated in two hours.
- Natural convection method is used to give you instant cooling. It uses semi-automatic or automatic defrosting technology.
- Other unique features to be considered are door alarms, door locks, child locks, switch modes, power ice maker, and cooler, anti-bacterial filters, digital sensors.
Best double door refrigerators Reviews
LG 260 L Frost Free Double Door 4 Star refrigerator Review
One of the smartest and inventive refrigerators presently available in the market is the LG 260L 4 Star Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator. It is ideal for small families with 3 to 4 members. It is known for its still compressor, energy saving and super-fast cooling feature. LG is the most trusted and the oldest brand in the world of home and kitchen appliances.
Haier 320 L 3 Star Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator Reviews
Haier 320 L 3 Star Frost-free is one the most loved product among the users and for all the right reasons. This double door refrigerator comes with stabilizer free operation. It is power packed with super energy efficient features. The gross capacity of this double door refrigerator is 320L. It is suitable for 3 to 4 members.
Whirlpool 245 L 2 Star Frost-Free Double-Door Refrigerator Reviews
Elegant in its looks and power packed with efficient cooling and freshness technology, the Whirlpool 245 L 2 Star Double-Door Refrigerator is a great choice for this price. The unit is an outstanding pick for the summers as the cold air temperatures are preserved even when the doors are inadvertently left open. It comes with smart Sixth sense deep clean technology, 7-day garden fresh vegetable crisper, Fresh flow air system and chilling gel, and dairy fresh chiller.
Whirlpool 340 L 3 Star Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator Reviews
Whirlpool is one of the best brands available in the market when it comes to home and kitchen appliances. This 340 L 3 Star Double Door Refrigerator is a power-packed refrigerator with some incredible and pioneering convertible feature. It comes with Power freeze and power cool feature lets your food cool 30% faster than any other refrigerator of the kind. It is super good on saving energy; it is good for your pocket and at the same time good for the environment.
Godrej 236 L 2 Star Frost-free Double Door Refrigerator
Decent and elegant in its look this double door refrigerator comes with unique features and is ideal for this price range. It is quite famous among the users online. Its gross capacity is 236L and is suitable for families with 2 to 3 members. The product comes with one year warranty. It comes with stabilizer free operation. It comes with 2-star energy rating.
Samsung 253 L 2 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator
From the adobe of Samsung Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerators, comes this 253-liter variant with a stylish and elegant exterior to match the overall setting of your kitchen. With the 253-liters of capacity, this frost-free refrigerator is appropriate for all small to medium families. Along with the ability to automatically defrost the built up ice, this fridge from Samsung provides you with the added convenience of stabilizer-free operation. The toughened glass shelves are capable of enduring the weight of the heaviest of vessels and the digital inverter technology saves a lot of energy.
Mitashi 240 L 3 Star Direct-Cool Double-Door Refrigerator
Want to buy a budget yet powerful double-door refrigerator for your home? The Mitashi 240-Liters 3-Star refrigerator is surely the best choice available on the market for all of you. Having an appropriate capacity of 240-liters, this fridge is certainly the go-to product for all small size families. Equipped with the direct cooling system, this refrigerator provides amazing cooling, superior performance, and certainly helps you in saving a lot of money. The stabilizer-free operation also cuts down the price of buying one and further helps in saving the unit against voltage fluctuations.
LG 260 L 3 Star Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator
This innovative 260-liters refrigerator from the seamless range of double-door fridges is a really ideal model to buy for any customer. Equipped with the latest Smart Inverter Compressor is one among the majorly advanced and economical and environment-friendly compressor that saves a lot of energy by regulating the cooling authority in reaction to the quantity of food you stock inside the fridge, which offers proficient energy consumption. Furthermore, this refrigerator has been intended to provide you with matchless performance, abundant savings, and really silent working.
What features to look for when purchasing a refrigerator?
These days, refrigerators come equipped with a variety of features that are designed to add a whole new level of functionality to them. However, searching for the features you be quite overwhelming, given the number of options that are available.
So, which ones are worth it? We’ll help you pick the best features that can be considered while purchasing a refrigerator:
- Refrigerator Compressor: The compressor of a refrigerator decides its energy rating and cooling efficiency. The newer refrigerator models these days are equipped with smart inverter compressors. These compressors are more durable, consume less power and result in lesser temperature variance inside the refrigerator.
- Energy Rating: Depending upon the technology that they are equipped with, refrigerators are rated between one to five stars, for their energy efficiency, with five stars being most power efficient and one star being the least. The energy efficiency rating of a refrigerator gives an indication of the cost of using the appliance in the long run.
- Dimensions: Most kitchens these days are modular. That’s why the dimensions of fridge is an important factor to consider. The last thing you want is the refrigerator not fitting in the kitchen because of lack of space.
- Cooler Pad: A few models come with cooler pads installed in the freezer. In case of a power failure, these pads help maintain and preserve the cooling in the refrigerator for up to 10 hours.
- Anti-fungal door gasket: To prevent the accumulation and growth of fungi and bacteria inside the refrigerator, the doors have an anti-fungal gasket. While this gasket is permanently fixed in some models, others have a removable gasket that can be easily detached and washed.
- Child Lock: The child lock is important from safety point-of-view. It prevents any accidental setting changes on the refrigerator’s control panel.
Be a smart shopper! Do your homework and research and you’ll be happy with your refrigerator for years to come.