Water dispensers on refrigerators have become a common household appliance in recent years. They offer a convenient way to have chilled water or ice without having to open the refrigerator door.
If your fridge doesn’t have a water dispenser, you’re missing out on one of the most convenient features those modern appliances have to offer. A water dispenser in your fridge means that you always have cold, fresh water at your fingertips, and you don’t even have to open the fridge door to get it.
But what happens when your refrigerator’s water dispenser stops working?
In this article, we’ll explore the possible causes of why your refrigerator’s water dispenser may have stopped working and offer some tips on how to fix it.
Why is the fridge not dispensing water – causes & solutions
One of the most common problems with refrigerators is that they stop dispensing water. This can be caused by several different things, and it is important to troubleshoot the issue in order to determine the root cause. In this article, we will discuss some of the potential causes for why your refrigerator might not be dispensing water, as well as some solutions that you can try.
Clogged water filter
People become accustomed to the quality and ease of pouring cold water from the best side by side refrigerator in India over time. It’s more than inconvenient if this no longer works. It’s easy to check one of the most prevalent reasons for the water dispenser not working: the water filter.
Refrigerators with a water connection to the house are available. The same is true for models in which the water must be manually filled in a storage tank. All the devices, however, have a water filter installed.
This water filter’s job is to continuously create high-quality drinking water and ice cubes. The amount of lime in your water varies depending on where you reside and the state of your house pipes. Without a water filter, other bacteria or pollutants could get into the user’s ice cubes or cold water. The water is cleaned by the filter.
Over time, the filter may become clogged. Limescale deposits, dirt particles, and other pollutants can cause this. As a result, the refrigerator’s water dispenser is no longer functional because there is no or insufficient water coming through the pipe.
The refrigerator’s water filter is essentially a consumable component. This filter will need to be replaced from time to time, depending on how often it is used and the overall water quality. As a general guideline, a change should be made every 6 months to ensure that the water quality remains consistent and that other components, such as pipes, are not overly contaminated.
The water inlet tap is closed
If the water inlet tap is closed or the water flow is insufficient, the water dispenser will not work. To check if the tap is the cause, flick the water dispenser and listen for a whirring sound in the back of your fridge.
If you hear this sound, then it’s either the faucet or the solenoid valve. To check the valve, unscrew the cover on the back of the fridge and locate the valve. If it’s not working properly, you’ll need to replace it.
The dispenser power button is off
If the power button on your refrigerator’s water dispenser is disabled, the dispenser will not work. You can check to see if this feature is enabled by looking at the control panel. If it is, then try again. If the power button is still disabled, then there may be a problem with the refrigerator itself. You should call a trained technician to come and take a look at it.
The water switch is defective
If the control panel is in water dispenser mode and you press the lever with your container, the water should flow. However, if you find that no water is flowing, it’s possible that the lever or the switch is defective.
You can test the switch with a multimeter by holding the two measuring tips of the test device against the switch terminals. The switch should have continuity in one of the two positions. If it doesn’t, then the switch is likely defective and will need to be replaced.
The solenoid valve is defective
If the fridge solenoid valve is broken, it will not let water through to the water dispenser. You can test it with a multimeter in ohmmeter setting. The solenoid valve is located on the back of the device. The multimeter must show a value between the two solenoid valve terminals.
Otherwise, you must replace it. Testing the fridge solenoid valve with a multimeter is a relatively easy process that anyone can do. However, if you are not comfortable doing this, you can always call a professional to come and take a look at your fridge for you.
The hose is frozen
If you find that the hose attached to your fridge is frozen, there are a few possible explanations. First, check the temperature inside the best refrigerator above 500 litres in India. It should be set to around 4°C. If it’s lower than that, try setting the thermostat a little higher.
This should solve the problem. If not, it’s possible that the water tank behind the crisper is frozen. This can happen if the inside of the fridge is too cold. To thaw it out, simply remove the tank and place it in a bowl of warm water. Once it has thawed, replace it and you should be good to go.
The water pressure is low
Low water pressure in the house water line might also cause the refrigerator’s water dispenser to stop working. A valve in the water dispenser regulates the flow of water. This water inlet valve requires a particular amount of pressure to operate. This is normally between 1.2 and 1.3 bar, and the details can be found in the device’s instructions.
The valve will not open if the line pressure is not sufficient, preventing water from entering the dispenser reservoir. As a result, the water dispenser will no longer functional.
Inspect your home’s water pressure. The water metre should be close to the pressure gauge. Change the valve settings if the pressure isn’t high enough. It’s possible that a backwash filter has been installed and needs to be cleaned.
After following the above steps and troubleshooting the most common issues, your refrigerator should be dispensing water properly. If you have checked that the water line is not frozen, that the valve is open, and that there is power to the unit, but your refrigerator still will not dispense water, you may need to call a qualified technician for further assistance.
In some cases, a more serious issue like a broken water line or bad valve may be to blame. Whatever the cause of your problem, a technician will be able to quickly diagnose and resolve the issue so that you can enjoy cool, refreshing water from your refrigerator once again.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
1. Why does my ice maker work but not the water dispenser?
There are a few reasons why your ice maker might be working but not the water dispenser. One reason could be that the water line that supplies the water to the ice maker is frozen. If this is the case, you will need to thaw out the water line. Another reason could be that the water filter is clogged and needs to be replaced. Finally, the water inlet valve might be defective and will need to be replaced.
2. How do I know if my water filter is clogged?
If your water filter is clogged, it might not be providing enough water flow to the water dispenser. This can cause the dispenser to work intermittently or not at all. You should replace the water filter if you suspect it is clogged.
3. How do you unclog a refrigerator water dispenser?
To unclog a refrigerator water dispenser, first identify the problem. If the issue is with the water line, flush it with vinegar and water to remove any build-up. Next, check the filter and replace it if necessary. Finally, clean the nozzle with hot soapy water to remove any debris. If the problem persists, contact a certified appliance repair technician.
4. How do I test my refrigerator water line?
To test your refrigerator water line, first turn off the water to your refrigerator. Next, disconnect the water line from the fridge. Place a cup underneath the disconnected end of the water line to catch any water that may drip out. Turn on the water to your refrigerator and check for leaks. If there are no leaks, then your refrigerator water line is working properly. If there are leaks, then you will need to replace the water line.
5. Can you fix a refrigerator water dispenser?
Yes, a refrigerator water dispenser can be fixed. Depending on the problem, it may be a simple fix, such as replacing a worn-out part, or it may require more extensive repairs. If the dispenser is leaking, there may be a problem with the supply line or the connection to the water source. A clogged filter can also cause water to leak from the dispenser. If the water dispenser is not working at all, there may be a problem with the power supply or the control board. A qualified repair technician will be able to diagnose and fix the problem.
Other Refrigerator Blogs
Refrigerator Buying Guide
Refrigerator By Features
- Best Refrigerator With Bottom Freezer
- 10 Best Refrigerators Without Freezer
- Best Double Door Refrigerator
- Best Refrigerator Above 500 Litres
- Top 5 Best Multi Door Refrigerators
- Best 5 Star Refrigerator In India
Refrigerator By Types
- LG 360 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Haier Fridge Review – Is Haier a Reliable Brand?
- Whirlpool Protton 330L 3 Door Refrigerator Review
- Haier 8 in 1 Convertible Refrigerator Review
- Panasonic 584 Litres Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- LG 687 L Frost Free Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- Bosch 559 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Voltas Beko Refrigerator Review
- Hisense Fridge Review
- MarQ Refrigerator Review
- Bosch Refrigerator Review
- Why Refrigerator Is Not Cooling?
- Why Is My Refrigerator Making Noise?
- Common Refrigerator Problems
- Refrigerator Not Making Ice [Causes & Solutions]
- Refrigerator Starts And Stops Frequently [Causes & Solutions]
- Vegetables Freezing In Refrigerator [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge Compressor Not Working [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge not Cooling but Freezer Works [Fix]
- Fridge is not Cooling but the Light is On [Fix]
- Why is Fridge Light Not Working? [Fix]
Refrigerator By Brands
- 10 Best LG Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Hitachi Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Samsung Refrigerator
- LG Refrigerator Double Door 5 Star Latest Model
- Best Refrigerator Under 30000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 15000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 20000
- Top 10 Best Refrigerator Brands
- What to Keep in Mini Fridge?
- Best Storage Containers for Refrigerators
- Guide On How to Adjust Refrigerator Temperature Control
- What is Inverter Technology in Refrigerator?
- What Is Star Rating in Refrigerator?
- How Many Units of Electricity Consumed by Refrigerator?
- What is Frost Free Refrigerator?
- What is Smart Refrigerator?
- What is Coolpad in Refrigerator?
- What Is the Right Noise Level of Refrigerator?
- How To Clean A Refrigerator?
- How To Organise The Refrigerator?
- How to use the refrigerator?
- What is Convertible Refrigerator?
- Where to Keep Refrigerator?
- Best Stabiliser for Refrigerator
- How Does Refrigerator Works?
- What Food Items Do You Preserve in a Refrigerator?
- What is Defrosting in Refrigerator?
- Know which Gas is Used in Refrigerator?
- What is a Direct Cool Refrigerator?
- How Long Do Refrigerators Last?
- Different Parts of Refrigerator
- What is French Door Refrigerator?