Refrigerators are a crucial appliance for every household. Most consumers also might understand that a refrigerator comes with a refrigerant gas and a compressor, the two most commonly referred to parts of a refrigerator. That said, it is really helpful to know what makes a refrigerator work. In that case, if your appliance breaks down, you might be able to determine what went wrong and the diagnosis might even save you from getting ripped off. So, if you wish to know about the parts of refrigerator, we are listing down everything there is to know.
Parts of Refrigerator – Explained 2022
A refrigerator is a complex machine that uses a variety of different parts to keep food cold and fresh. The most important part of a refrigerator is the compressor, which is responsible for circulating coolant throughout the system. The coolant absorbs heat from the interior of the fridge and transfers it to the outside air. In order to work properly, the compressor must be continually cooled by a fan. The fan helps to circulate air around the coolant and prevents it from overheating.
Additionally, refrigerators use a variety of gaskets and seals to prevent warm air from entering the interior of the fridge. These gaskets are made from materials that are resistant to heat and cold, such as rubber or silicone. Without these vital parts, a refrigerator would be unable to properly cool food and keep it fresh.
No matter the size of your refrigerator, be it a side-by-side refrigerator, or a frost free refrigerator, the parts inside are always the same and function in a similar manner. However, their capacities and durability might be different depending on the brand you choose. The best refrigerator brands surely have some of the most long-lasting and feature full appliances out there. So, rest well and be sure you will get something worthwhile.
Let us take an in-depth look into what makes a refrigerator tick and what those parts bring to the table.
What are the Parts in a Refrigerator?
To begin with, each part of a refrigerator is crucial for its functioning. Your role in maintaining your appliance starts here. If you have had a refrigerator for a while now, you might already know what the parts are that make a refrigerator up. A deeper understanding will only help you out, in not just maintaining your refrigerator, but also in easing your future purchases.
So, how does a refrigerator work?
A refrigerator uses 5 different parts to effectively cool down its insides and preserve your food. It is a really convenient appliance that uses a very simple method to keep things cold.
Here are the parts of a refrigerator, let us take a closer look at them.
- Compressor – The compressor is one of the most important parts in a refrigerator. It is responsible for circulating coolant throughout the fridge and maintaining the correct temperature. When the fridge is turned on, the compressor starts up and begins to circulate coolant. The coolant absorbs heat from the interior of the fridge and passes it to the outside air. The compressor then turns off and allows the coolant to expand, which helps to regulate the temperature inside the fridge. without a compressor, a fridge would be unable to maintain a consistent temperature and would eventually become too warm. As such, it is important to keep an eye on your fridge’s compressor and make sure that it is in good working condition.
- Condenser – A condenser is a key part in a refrigerator, as it helps to cool and compress the refrigerant. The refrigerant is a fluid that evaporates at low temperatures and condenses at high temperatures. In the refrigerator, the condenser helps to cool the refrigerant so that it can be used again. The condenser is usually located behind the fridge, and it consists of a series of coils. These coils help to release heat from the refrigerant so that it can be cooled down. The condenser is an essential part of the refrigeration process, and it helps to keep your food fresh.
- Expansion Valve – The expansion valve is one of the most important parts in a refrigerator. It is responsible for controlling the amount of refrigerant that flows into the evaporator. If too much refrigerant enters the evaporator, it can cause the unit to freeze up. Conversely, if not enough refrigerant flows into the evaporator, it will not be able to effectively cool the air. Because the expansion valve is such a critical component, it is important to have it serviced on a regular basis. A qualified technician will be able to clean and inspect the valve to ensure that it is functioning properly. By taking these preventative measures, you can help keep your refrigerator running smoothly for years to come.
- Evaporator – The evaporator is one of the most important parts in a refrigerator. It is responsible for removing heat from the air inside the fridge so that the air can be cooled. The evaporator is located behind the fridge’s back panel, and it consists of a series of coils that are filled with a refrigerant. As the refrigerant evaporates, it absorbs heat from the air and turns into a gas. The evaporator coils are then cooled by a fan, which blows cold air into the fridge. This process continues until the desired temperature is reached. Without the evaporator, a fridge would not be able to properly cool food and keep it fresh.
- Refrigerant Gas – In any refrigeration system, the key element is the refrigerant gas. This gas is compressed by the compressor and then condensed back to a liquid by passing it through a condenser. The refrigerant gas then enters an expansion valve where it is allowed to expand and evaporate. As the refrigerant gas expands, it absorbs heat from its surroundings, thus cooling them down. This cycle is then repeated over and over again in order to maintain the desired temperature inside the fridge. In order for the system to work properly, it is essential that there is a constant supply of refrigerant gas. Without it, the fridge would be unable to cool down and would quickly become unusable.
How The Different Parts of a Fridge Work Together?
Now we know what the different parts of a fridge are. You might not need to know this, but understanding how a refrigerator functions is a great way to understanding what went wrong in case something happens to your refrigerator.
Basically, all these 5 components work simultaneously to make sure the insides of your fridge are cool and effectively maintain that temperature and preserve your food.
Looking at this diagram, you understand how the components of a refrigerator function together in achieving its functionality.
Refrigerators function by converting the refrigerant that circulates inside of them from a liquid into a gas. Evaporation, a procedure that causes the desired result, cools the surrounding region. You can test this procedure for yourself by applying a few drops of alcohol to your skin. You should experience a chill when it evaporates because we can safely store food using the same fundamental idea.
The pressure on the refrigerant must be decreased through an exit known as the capillary tube/expansion valve in order to begin the evaporation process and convert the refrigerant from a liquid to a gas. The results are comparable to those of using an aerosol product like hair spray. An aerosol can’s liquid side is the pressure side, the capillary tube is the exit, and the empty space is the evaporator. It changes from a liquid to a gas when you discharge the contents into the lower pressure open area.
The gaseous refrigerant needs to be compressed to a greater pressure and temperature in order to return to its liquid condition, which is necessary to keep a refrigerator working. In this situation, the compressor is used. As was already mentioned, the compressor works similarly to a bike pump. As you push and compress the air, you can feel the pump becoming warmer.
The gas ought to be hot and under high pressure after the compressor has finished. So that its contents can be cooled by outside air, it needs to be cooled in the condenser, which is positioned on the back of the refrigerator. When the gas inside the condenser (still under higher pressure) cools down, it changes back to liquid form.
The process then restarts when the liquid refrigerant circulates back to the evaporator.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the 5 parts of refrigerator?
A refrigerator has five main components: the compressor, the condenser, the evaporator, the expansion valve, and the refrigerant. The compressor is responsible for circulating the refrigerant throughout the system. The condenser helps to cool the refrigerant, and the evaporator absorbs heat from the inside of the fridge. The expansion valve regulates the flow of refrigerant, and the refrigerant itself helps to transfer heat. These five parts work together to keep your food cold and fresh.
What is fridge compressor?
A fridge compressor is a device that is used to compress refrigerant. This device helps to keep the fridge cold by circulating the refrigerant through the system. The compressor is responsible for maintaining the pressure of the refrigerant, which in turn keeps the fridge cold. In order to work properly, the compressor must be properly lubricated. If the compressor is not properly lubricated, it will wear out and eventually break down. As a result, it is important to regularly check the level of lubrication in the compressor and to replace the compressor if it is worn out.
What is the most important part of a refrigerator?
The compressor is a pump that circulates the refrigerant throughout the system. It is responsible for drawing in warm air and expelling cooler air, which helps to keep the interior of the refrigerator at a constant temperature. Without a properly functioning compressor, the refrigerator would be unable to maintain optimal conditions for storing food. In addition to the compressor, other important parts of a refrigerator include the evaporator coils and the condenser coils. The evaporator coils help to remove heat from the air inside the refrigerator, while the condenser coils help to release heat from the refrigerant.
The refrigerator is a household appliance that most people use on a daily basis, but few know how it works. A typical fridge contains five main parts: the evaporator, the compressor, the condenser, the refrigerant gas, and the expansion valve. The evaporator is located in the freezer compartment and contains a fan that circulates cold air. The compressor is located behind the fridge and pumps refrigerant through the system. The condenser is located next to the compressor and helps to dissipate heat. Finally, the expansion valve is located between the evaporator and condenser and regulates the flow of refrigerant. By understanding how these parts work together, you can keep your fridge running smoothly for years to come.
Other Refrigerator Blogs
Refrigerator Buying Guide
Refrigerator By Features
- Best Refrigerator With Bottom Freezer
- 10 Best Refrigerators Without Freezer
- Best Double Door Refrigerator
- Best Refrigerator Above 500 Litres
- Top 5 Best Multi Door Refrigerators
- Best 5 Star Refrigerator In India
Refrigerator By Types
- LG 360 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Haier Fridge Review – Is Haier a Reliable Brand?
- Whirlpool Protton 330L 3 Door Refrigerator Review
- Haier 8 in 1 Convertible Refrigerator Review
- Panasonic 584 Litres Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- LG 687 L Frost Free Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- Bosch 559 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Voltas Beko Refrigerator Review
- Hisense Fridge Review
- MarQ Refrigerator Review
- Bosch Refrigerator Review
- Why Refrigerator Is Not Cooling?
- Why Is My Refrigerator Making Noise?
- Why Is The Refrigerator Not Dispensing Water?
- Common Refrigerator Problems
- Refrigerator Not Making Ice [Causes & Solutions]
- Refrigerator Starts And Stops Frequently [Causes & Solutions]
- Vegetables Freezing In Refrigerator [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge Compressor Not Working [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge not Cooling but Freezer Works [Fix]
- Fridge is not Cooling but the Light is On [Fix]
- Why is Fridge Light Not Working? [Fix]
Refrigerator By Brands
- 10 Best LG Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Hitachi Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Samsung Refrigerator
- LG Refrigerator Double Door 5 Star Latest Model
- Best Refrigerator Under 30000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 15000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 20000
- Top 10 Best Refrigerator Brands
- What to Keep in Mini Fridge?
- Best Storage Containers for Refrigerators
- Guide On How to Adjust Refrigerator Temperature Control
- What is Inverter Technology in Refrigerator?
- What Is Star Rating in Refrigerator?
- How Many Units of Electricity Consumed by Refrigerator?
- What is Frost Free Refrigerator?
- What is Smart Refrigerator?
- What is Coolpad in Refrigerator?
- What Is the Right Noise Level of Refrigerator?
- How To Clean A Refrigerator?
- How To Organise The Refrigerator?
- How to use the refrigerator?
- What is Convertible Refrigerator?
- Where to Keep Refrigerator?
- Best Stabiliser for Refrigerator
- How Does Refrigerator Works?
- What Food Items Do You Preserve in a Refrigerator?
- What is Defrosting in Refrigerator?
- Know which Gas is Used in Refrigerator?
- What is a Direct Cool Refrigerator?
- How Long Do Refrigerators Last?
- What is French Door Refrigerator?