When it comes to refrigerators, there are quite a few to choose between in the market. If you want one for home, chances are you would get a proper refrigerator, with capacity depending on how many people would be using it. But what if you are living alone? Or, you like to travel and would like a portable refrigerator. This is why we bring to you a definitive answer for the question – Is it worth buying a mini fridge? Well, it is if you can find a use for it.
On this page
Is It Worth Buying a Mini Fridge – What does a Mini Fridge Provide?
The thing is, Mini Refrigerators can prove really great and helpful if you fall in the category of people who can make use of them. They are not for everyone, and not everybody would enjoy using one, but if you are someone who has their requirements perfectly in line with what a mini fridge can offer, these appliances can be super money saving for you.
Let us look at the different aspects of mini refrigerators and answer with definitive proof, if its worth buying a mini fridge. A portable mini fridge is really helpful in multiple scenarios. For example, if you are a constant party thrower, portable mini fridges will definitely make your life that much easier. They also serve a great purpose as a bedroom mini fridge as well.
What is a Mini Refrigerator?
You would probably know that normal refrigerators, even single door ones, have a capacity of, generally speaking, 190L and above. Now if you are living alone and have a few needs with refrigeration, a single door one would be perfect for you. They provide ample space for one person’s food and some extras.
Now, mini refrigerators are not that big essentially. They do not cross the capacity of 50L to 60L, and are only enough to store a few things at once. If you want a refrigerator under 15000, you could consider a mini refrigerator to save even more money.
However, there is another use for a mini refrigerator that works insanely well if you are a movie or a gaming freak. We all sometimes think of having a cold beverage handy and might even feel lazy going all the way to the kitchen and risk missing out on the best part of the movie, or get killed while playing games. This is where a mini fridge can really benefit you.
Keeping a mini fridge as a secondary, go to refrigeration unit that you can keep in your bedroom, or your living room, or right beside your computer or console. Grab that cold cola and have a sip without having to leave the room.
Mini refrigerators can be used as primary refrigerators, but if you even add a few extra things to the space, the refrigerator fails to even comply with the request. There are downsides to mini refrigerators, and they can be difficult to work especially if it is too hot outside.
There is another use for mini refrigerators. If you are hosting parties a lot, a mini refrigerator can be perfect to store a few cold ones for your guests, either outside or in the living room.
Let us see what a mini refrigerator can provide and how they are different from normal refrigerators. Remember, they are different from refrigerators without freezers. Also, getting a mini fridge with freezer is not very common. You can find one sure, but it won’t be easy.
How are Mini Refrigerators different from Regular Refrigerators?
|Feature Point||Mini Refrigerator||Normal Refrigerator|
|Capacity||Very low; 40L to 55L||Low to high; 190L to 660L|
|Flexibility of use||Good flexibility; Can be used as primary fridge and secondary or outdoor fridge.||Low flexibility; Large appliances that can only be used as primary refrigerators|
|Variations||Only a few versions available||Tons of options available; Single doors, multi-doors|
|Durability and maintenance||Durable and low maintenance; Cheaper maintenance||Highly durable and very low maintenance; Expensive maintenance|
|Utility charges (Electricity usage)||Very low||Depends on the type and capacity you bought|
|Price||Very low||Mid-high; Depends on the type you purchase.|
Do you need a Mini Refrigerator?
There are a few situations where owning a mini refrigerator comes in really handy. If you have any of these needs, a mini refrigerator could be really worth purchasing.
- If you live alone: Living alone and do not have a lot of items to store on a daily basis? A mini refrigerator is perfect for these situations. If you are living alone and have only a few things, say some milk for your tea, leftovers, and a few cans of the cold one, a mini refrigerator can easily handle these.
- If you want to save on utility bills: You can add more things to your mini refrigerator and it can handle it mostly, unless it is really hot outside. Mini refrigerators do not cost much at all, and do not cost a lot of maintain either. Perfect for someone looking for a small refrigerator, without having to spend a lot of money on its maintenance and usage.
- If you want a secondary refrigerator for your living room or bedroom: If you are a known movie freak or game a lot in your free time, a mini refrigerator can be of real help to your cause. Keeping a mini fridge in your living room or your gaming room can be of real help and allow you to enjoy cold beverages at from the comfort of your room.
- As an outdoor refrigerator: If you frequently throw parties, or hang out in your patio a lot, a secondary refrigerator you can keep outdoors can be great for you and your guests.
Reasons you should own a Mini Refrigerator?
Now, there are several reasons and upsides of owning a mini refrigerator. Here are the best ones.
- Personalized Usage: You can easily use a mini refrigerator for a number of utilities. From using it as your primary refrigerator, to a secondary one in your living room, and even an outdoor one for those sunny spring afternoons.
- Portability: One of the best things about mini refrigerators is its portability. Since they are rather small, there will be no problem moving them around your house and even take them with you on a trip or something. Obviously you would need electricity to run them, but they act as good portable refrigerators as well.
- Energy efficiency: Mini refrigerators are really energy efficient as well. They do not use a lot of power to run and will not cost a lot in utility bills.
- Takes minimal space: If you would like a small refrigerators that can fit anywhere, mini refrigerators are the best you can get. They do not take a lot of space and can be easily moved around as well.
- Extra space: If you need a separate refrigerated storage for, say some vegetables or cold ones, the extra space you get with a mini refrigerator without paying a lot of money can be really good for you.
- Affordability: Now, mini refrigerators are really inexpensive to purchase. In just under Rs. 6000, you can easily get a mini refrigerator that serves a good purpose.
Mini Fridges – Pros and Cons
- Compact in size
- Highly portable
- Energy efficient
- Great as a secondary refrigerator
- Perfect for people living alone
- Affordable to purchase
- Cannot store a lot of things
- Limited capacity
- Might fail to work properly if it is too hot
- They leak water if they build up frost, and frost free versions are not easily available
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why should you buy a mini fridge?
Mini refrigerators can be used for many different purchases. For a normal family, they can very easily be used as secondary cold storage. For people living alone, they can very well be used as primary refrigerators as well, given you do not have a lot of items to store in there.
Does it cost a lot to run a mini fridge?
No, not at all! A mini refrigerator takes very less electricity to run, due to its size. If you are worried about electricity bills, a mini fridge is nothing to worry about at all.
Are mini fridges safe in bedrooms?
Yes. But you have to realize that frost buildup can make your refrigerator leak water. Mini fridges are great for bedrooms, but be prepared for a leaking appliance if you do not generally check for frost. Otherwise, they are great to have in your bedroom.
How long will a mini fridge last?
A mini refrigerator easily lasts around 6-10 years, much like a normal refrigerator. If you are worried about durability, mini refrigerators are actually quite well built for their size.
Does a mini fridge get as cold as a regular fridge?
There are many mini refrigerators that can potentially get as cold as a regular fridge. However, mini refrigerators cannot be compared to normal refrigerators when it comes to cooling potential. Mini refrigerators have a much smaller compressor that simply cannot match its bigger counterpart.
How long does food last in mini fridge?
If you do not overstuff it, you will find a mini fridge preserves food just as long as a normal fridge would. The key is to not overstuff it however. The more things you add, the lesser space there is for the cold air to move around. So, if you want your food to last longer in a mini fridge, try and not add too much into it.
Mini refrigerators are great, especially if you have planned their use first hand. We would not suggest using mini refrigerators as your primary cooling unit, unless you live alone and do not have a lot of refrigeration need. However, if you are someone that can really find use for it, a mini refrigerator is one of the best appliances you can have. They prove very useful and due to their portability, they are great for parties too. If you watch movies a lot, consider keeping a mini fridge right by your side along with snacks to be able to watch your movie in peace. Gamers can also find good uses for mini refrigerators.
So, if you are wondering is it worth buying a mini fridge – the answer is, it is incredibly worth it! But use it well.
Other Refrigerators Blogs
Refrigerator Buying Guide
Refrigerator By Features
- Best Refrigerator With Bottom Freezer
- 10 Best Refrigerator Without Freezer
- Best Double Door Refrigerator
- Best Refrigerator Above 500 Litres
- Top 5 Best Multi Door Refrigerator
- Best 5 Star Refrigerator In India
Refrigerator By Types
- LG 360 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Haier Fridge Review – Is Haier a Reliable Brand?
- Whirlpool Protton 330L 3 Door Refrigerator Review
- Haier 8 in 1 Convertible Refrigerator Review
- Panasonic 584 Litres Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- LG 687 L Frost Free Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- Bosch 559 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Voltas Beko Refrigerator Review
- Hisense Fridge Review
- MarQ Refrigerator Review
- Bosch Refrigerator Review
- Why Refrigerator Is Not Cooling?
- Why Is My Refrigerator Making Noise?
- Why Is The Refrigerator Not Dispensing Water?
- Common Refrigerator Problems
- Refrigerator Not Making Ice [Causes & Solutions]
- Refrigerator Starts And Stops Frequently [Causes & Solutions]
- Vegetables Freezing In Refrigerator [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge Compressor Not Working [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge not Cooling but Freezer Works [Fix]
- Fridge not Cooling but Light is On [Fix]
- Why Fridge Light Not Working? [Fix]
Refrigerator By Brands
- 10 Best LG Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Hitachi Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Samsung Refrigerator
- LG Refrigerator Double Door 5 Star Latest Model
- Best Refrigerator Under 30000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 15000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 20000
- Top 10 Best Refrigerator Brands
- What to Keep in Mini Fridge?
- Best Storage Containers for Refrigerator
- Guide On How to Adjust Refrigerator Temperature Control
- What is Inverter Technology in Refrigerator?
- What Is Star Rating in Refrigerator?
- How Much Unit of Electricity Consumed by Refrigerator?
- What is Frost Free Refrigerator?
- What is Smart Refrigerator?
- What is Coolpad in Refrigerator?
- What Is the Right Noise Level of Refrigerator?
- How To Clean A Refrigerator?
- How To Organise The Refrigerator?
- How to use refrigerator?
- What is Convertible Refrigerator?
- Where to Keep Refrigerator?
- Best Stabiliser for Refrigerator
- How Refrigerator Works?
- What Food Items Do You Preserve in a Refrigerator?
- What is Defrosting in Refrigerator?
- Know which Gas Used in Refrigerator?
- What is Direct Cool Refrigerator?
- How Long Do Refrigerators Last?
- Different Parts of Refrigerator
- What is French Door Refrigerator?