If you’ve ever found yourself standing in front of an open refrigerator, wondering where to put something, you’re not alone. Proper food storage can be tricky, and it’s important to know how to arrange your fridge for both maximum efficiency and safety. The good news is that most refrigerators are designed with specific areas in mind.
The shelves closest to the door are typically the warmest, so they’re ideal for storing condiments and other items that don’t need to be kept icy-cold. The middle shelves are typically more moderate in temperature, making them a good place for fruits and vegetables.
And the bottom shelves are typically the coldest, so they’re perfect for meat, fish, and other items that need to be kept at a very low temperature. So next time you’re undecided about where to put something in your fridge, just think about what temperature it needs to be stored at, and you’ll be sure to find the perfect spot.
Therefore, arranging food incorrectly can lead to a faster alteration of their organoleptic qualities.
How to Organize the Fridge?
We have collected some useful rules to follow to optimize the consumption of the fridge and, above all, to preserve the food we buy in the best way.
1. Start by emptying the refrigerator and wiping it down with a damp cloth
Start by emptying the fridge and wiping down the shelves with a damp cloth. Then, use a mild cleanser to remove any build-up from the exterior. Be sure to clean the gasket around the door, as this can often be a magnet for dirt and grime. If you have any removable shelves or drawers, take them out and wash them separately.
Once you’ve finished cleaning the inside of the fridge, you can move on to cleaning the exterior. Wipe down the door and handles with a damp cloth, and then polish them with a dry towel. Once you’ve given your fridge a good cleaning, take some time to organize the contents.
2. Purge your refrigerator of any expired or unused food
The second step to organizing your refrigerator is to get rid of any expired or unused food. This may seem like an obvious task, but it’s important to be thorough in order to keep your refrigerator clean and safe. Start by checking the expiration dates on all of your food items. If anything has expired, throw it away.
Next, take inventory of the items that you never use. If there’s something that you know you’ll never eat, don’t be afraid to get rid of it. Getting rid of unused and expired food will help make more space in your refrigerator and make it easier to find the items that you need.
Once you’ve cleared out the expired and unused food, take a look at the remaining items and decide which ones need to be used up soon. Make a list of these items so you can make sure to use them before they expire. This will help you keep your refrigerator organized and prevent food waste.
3. Group similar items together
Now that you’ve emptied out your best side by side refrigerator in India, it’s time to start putting things back in. But before you start randomly shoving items back on the shelves, take a moment to think about how you want to organize the space. A good place to start is by grouping like items together. For example, you can put all the meats in one spot, the fruits and vegetables in another, and the condiments in a third.
By grouping like items together, you can quickly and easily find what you need without having to search through everything. Plus, it’ll be easier to put away groceries if they can be stored in their respective groups. If you have items that don’t fit neatly into any of these categories, such as leftovers or snacks, find a spot for them that makes sense.
4. Use clear containers or bags to store food so you can see what’s inside
One of the best ways to organize your refrigerator is to use clear storage containers. This way, you can easily see what’s inside and quickly find what you’re looking for. Plus, clear containers help to prevent food from going bad by keeping it visible.
If you’re short on storage space, you can also use clear plastic bags. Just be sure to squeeze all the air out before sealing the bag. Otherwise, your food will spoil more quickly. By using clear storage containers, you can keep your refrigerator organized and ensure that your food stays fresh.
5. Keep frequently used items at eye level so they’re easy to access
Storing frequently used items at eye level in the fridge is a great way to save yourself time and hassle. By keeping things within easy reach, you can avoid having to search through the fridge every time you need something. This not only makes your life easier, but it also helps to keep your food fresh. After all, the less time food spends in the fridge, the longer it will last.
In addition, storing items at eye level makes it easier to see when they need to be used up or replaced. As a result, you can avoid waste and ensure that your food is always fresh and delicious. So next time you stock your fridge, take a moment to consider which items you use most often and store them accordingly. Your taste buds will thank you.
6. Use drawer dividers to keep things organized and easy to find
Drawer dividers are an inexpensive way to keep your refrigerator organized and efficient. They help to compartmentalize the space, making it easier to find what you need. And because they keep items separated, drawer dividers also help to prevent cross-contamination.
In addition, drawer dividers can be used to create custom storage solutions. For example, you can use a divider to separate fruits and vegetables from meat and dairy products. This way, you can quickly grab what you need without having to search through everything.
7. Use a spice rack or jar organizer for condiments and spices
If you find yourself constantly digging through a pile of condiments or struggling to find that elusive jar of pickles, it’s time to take action. One way to declutter your best double door refrigerator in India is to use a spice rack or jar organizer. These handy devices can help you keep small items organized and easily accessible.
Simply attach the organizer to the inside of your fridge door and use it to store condiments, spices, or other small items. Not only will this help you save time and frustration, but it will also free up space in your fridge for other things.
You can also use this type of organizer to store other small items, such as vitamins or medicine. And if you have trouble finding space for bulky items, like six-packs of soda, try using wire racks or storage bins. By getting creative with your storage solutions, you can transform your refrigerator into an organized and efficient space.
8. Use the door space to store things like milk and eggs that need to be kept cold
Most doors have shelves that are perfect for storing things like milk and eggs, which need to be kept cold but don’t necessarily need to be in the main body of the fridge. By utilizing this space, you can free up room in the main compartment for other items.
Door storage is also a great way to keep track of items that you need to use up soon. By keeping them in plain sight, you’re more likely to remember to use them before they go bad. Many people also use the door space to store condiments, such as ketchup and mustard. So don’t let your fridge door become a catch-all for random items. Use it wisely and you’ll be surprised at how much more organized your fridge can be.
9. Label everything so you know what’s inside each container or shelf
Most people have experienced the frustration of rummaging through the refrigerator, only to find that they have no idea what’s inside each container. This can lead to wasted food and money, as well as extra trips to the grocery store. One simple way to solve this problem is to label everything in the refrigerator.
You can use a simple labeling system, such as assigning each shelf a letter and each container a number. Or, you can get more specific and write out the contents of each container on the label. Use a permanent marker to write the contents and expiration date on each container, or use clip-on labels for shelves and drawers. Either way, labeling everything in your fridge will help you to keep it organized and will make it easier to find what you need.
10. Use airtight containers
Airtight containers are an essential kitchen tool for any home cook. Whether you are looking to store leftovers or prep meals ahead of time, airtight containers will keep your food fresh and free of contaminants. There are a variety of airtight container options available on the market, from glass to plastic, in all shapes and sizes.
While glass containers are the best option for preserving food freshness, they can be more fragile than plastic containers and may not be microwave- or dishwasher-safe. Plastic containers, on the other hand, are more versatile and can be used in a variety of ways, but they may not preserve food as well as glass containers. Whichever type of container you choose, make sure it has a tight-fitting lid to ensure maximum freshness.
11. Protect food with transparent film
A good way to keep food fresh in the best multi door refrigerator in India is to use transparent film. This film is widely used in restaurant kitchens and helps to protect food from the cold air of the fridge. Storing food without carefully covering it can lead to the dispersion of odors in the fridge, which can quickly turn into foul-smelling.
In addition, uncovered food dries out quickly, making it dull and difficult to consume. Transparent film can be used to close any container, even the plastic ones with which they arrange the products for sale. This helps to reduce the unnecessary production of garbage and not to use other containers.
12. Use vacuum packing to preserve food
Vacuum packing is a method of packaging that can help to preserve food and extend its shelf life. When food is exposed to air, it can oxidize and spoil. Vacuum packing removes the air from the package, which helps to prevent oxidation and keep the food fresh for longer.
The vacuum bags are easily available and the procedure is straightforward. Simply wash and dry the food, place it in the bag, and then under the machine. In just a few seconds, the bag will be sealed and the food will be preserved. Write the name of the product and date of packaging on the sachet and rest assured about the freshness both in the fridge and in the freezer.
This simple technique can help to keep food fresh for weeks or even months. So, if you’re looking for a way to reduce food waste and save money, consider vacuum packing.
13. Use bottle holders or racks to hold bottles
When it comes to storing wine, everyone has their own preference. Some people like to keep their wine in the fridge, while others prefer a more traditional approach, such as storing it in a cellar. However, if you do choose to store your wine in the fridge, it is important to be careful about where you place the bottles. If they are not properly secured, they could fall and break, wasting the wine and potentially causing injury.
Holders or racks for bottles are an easy and effective way to keep them secure and prevent them from falling over. They come in a variety of materials, such as plastic or foam, and can be custom-fit to any size bottle. By using holders and racks, you can stack your bottles safely in the fridge, confident that they will stay in place and be protected from breakage.
How to organize a fridge for food safety?
There are a few key things to keep in mind when organizing your fridge for food safety:
- Keep raw meat, poultry, and seafood separate from other foods. These items should be stored on the bottom shelf of the fridge, in a container or wrapped tightly so that they don’t come into contact with other foods.
- Make sure to cook or consume these items within a few days, and be sure to clean up any spills immediately.
- Keep fruits and vegetables in the crisper drawer. These items can last longer if they’re kept slightly moist, so don’t forget to add a bit of water to the drawer every so often.
- Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating them.
- Keep dairy products, such as milk and cheese, on the top shelf of the fridge. These items should be tightly sealed to prevent them from spoiling.
- Consume dairy products within a few days of opening them.
- Store leftovers in airtight containers and consume them within a few days.
- Be sure to clean your fridge regularly, and throw out any food that has gone bad.
What is the proper food storage order in a refrigerator?
Many people believe that the order in which food is stored in a refrigerator is not important, but this is actually not the case. There are certain items that should be stored in the fridge in a specific order to ensure maximum freshness and to prevent spoilage. Here is the proper food storage order for a refrigerator:
- Dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yogurt should be stored in the refrigerator door. This is because the door is the coolest part of the fridge and these items need to be kept at a lower temperature to prevent spoilage.
- Eggs should also be stored in the refrigerator door. This is to keep them from being jostled around and cracked.
- Raw meat and poultry should be stored on the bottom shelf of the fridge. This is to prevent any dripping from contaminating other food items.
- Cooked meat and poultry can be stored on a higher shelf than raw meat, as long as it is covered and will not drip onto other food items.
- Fruit and vegetables should be stored in the crisper drawers of the fridge. These drawers are designed to keep produce fresh for a longer period of time.
- Condiments and sauces can be stored anywhere in the fridge, although it is generally recommended to keep them on a shelf near the door so that they are easy to access.
- Leftovers should be stored in airtight containers on a shelf near the back of the fridge. This is to prevent them from spoiling too quickly.
- Finally, drinks should be stored in the fridge door. This is because the door is the coolest part of the fridge and these items need to be kept at a lower temperature to prevent spoilage.
The fridge is one of the most important appliances in the kitchen, and keeping it organized can help to ensure that food stays fresh and easy to find. There are a few simple tips that can make a big difference. First, make sure to keep meat and fish in the coldest part of the fridge, usually the bottom shelf. This will help to prevent spoilage. Second, organize items so that they are easy to see and reach. This may mean putting frequently used items at eye level or in the door pockets.
Finally, take some time to clean out the fridge on a regular basis. Even just a quick wipe-down once a week can make a big difference in preventing mold and bacteria growth. By following these simple tips, it is easy to keep the fridge organized and ensure that food stays fresh.
Frequently asked questions
1. How to organize leftovers in fridge?
There are a few different ways that you can go about organizing your leftovers in the fridge. One option is to simply keep them all in one designated spot, such as on a shelf or in a drawer. This can help to prevent your fridge from becoming too cluttered. Another option is to group leftovers together based on when they were cooked. For example, you could keep all of your breakfast leftovers on one shelf and all of your dinner leftovers on another. Finally, label your leftovers with the date that they were cooked so that you can easily tell how old they are.
2. What are the compartments of a refrigerator?
The compartments of a refrigerator typically include shelves, drawers, and bins. The shelves are used to store food items, while the drawers and bins can be used for storing smaller items or for holding produce. Some refrigerators also have a meat drawer, which is used to store raw meat. Additionally, many refrigerators have a built-in water and ice dispenser.
3. What goes on the top shelf of the fridge?
The top shelf of the fridge is typically reserved for items that need to be kept cool, but don’t necessarily need to be stored in the refrigerator. This might include items like condiments, jams, and jellies. The top shelf is also a great place to store leftovers that you want to keep cold, but don’t necessarily need to eat right away.
4. Where should milk be stored in the fridge?
Most milk should be stored in the main section of the fridge, where it will stay cold enough to remain fresh. The door of the fridge is generally the warmest part, so it’s not ideal for storing milk. If you have a lot of milk and space is an issue, you can store some in the door compartment, but use it first. If you have raw milk, it should be stored in the back of the fridge, where it will be the coldest.
5. Where is the coldest part of the fridge?
The coldest part of the fridge is typically near the back, where the air is coolest. However, some newer fridges have a “chill zone” in the door that is designed to be extra-cold for storing items like meat and fish. So, if you’re looking for the absolute coldest spot in your fridge, check the chill zone first.
Other Refrigerator Blogs
Refrigerator Buying Guide
Refrigerator By Features
- Best Refrigerator With Bottom Freezer
- 10 Best Refrigerators Without Freezer
- Best Double Door Refrigerator
- Best Refrigerator Above 500 Litres
- Top 5 Best Multi Door Refrigerators
- Best 5 Star Refrigerator In India
Refrigerator By Types
- LG 360 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Haier Fridge Review – Is Haier a Reliable Brand?
- Whirlpool Protton 330L 3 Door Refrigerator Review
- Haier 8 in 1 Convertible Refrigerator Review
- Panasonic 584 Litres Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- LG 687 L Frost Free Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- Bosch 559 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Voltas Beko Refrigerator Review
- Hisense Fridge Review
- MarQ Refrigerator Review
- Bosch Refrigerator Review
- Why Refrigerator Is Not Cooling?
- Why Is My Refrigerator Making Noise?
- Why Is The Refrigerator Not Dispensing Water?
- Common Refrigerator Problems
- Refrigerator Not Making Ice [Causes & Solutions]
- Refrigerator Starts And Stops Frequently [Causes & Solutions]
- Vegetables Freezing In Refrigerator [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge Compressor Not Working [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge not Cooling but Freezer Works [Fix]
- Fridge is not Cooling but the Light is On [Fix]
- Why is Fridge Light Not Working? [Fix]
Refrigerator By Brands
- 10 Best LG Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Hitachi Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Samsung Refrigerator
- LG Refrigerator Double Door 5 Star Latest Model
- Best Refrigerator Under 30000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 15000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 20000
- Top 10 Best Refrigerator Brands
- What to Keep in Mini Fridge?
- Best Storage Containers for Refrigerators
- Guide On How to Adjust Refrigerator Temperature Control
- What is Inverter Technology in Refrigerator?
- What Is Star Rating in Refrigerator?
- How Many Units of Electricity Consumed by Refrigerator?
- What is Frost Free Refrigerator?
- What is Smart Refrigerator?
- What is Coolpad in Refrigerator?
- What Is the Right Noise Level of Refrigerator?
- How To Clean A Refrigerator?
- How to Use Refrigerator?
- What is Convertible Refrigerator?
- Where to Keep Refrigerator?
- Best Stabiliser for Refrigerator
- How Does Refrigerator Works?
- What Food Items Do You Preserve in a Refrigerator?
- What is Defrosting in Refrigerator?
- Know which Gas is Used in Refrigerator?
- What is a Direct Cool Refrigerator?
- How Long Do Refrigerators Last?
- Different Parts of Refrigerator
- What is French Door Refrigerator?