Our article on how to clean a refrigerator will inform you about the most effective remedies to eliminate dirt & food spills from refrigerators and freezers.
The refrigerator is the place where we store food and, among the appliances in the kitchen, it is the one we open most often, which is why it must always be kept clean to preserve the freshness and safety of food. Cleaning the refrigerator is a household chore that should be performed at least once a month to always keep it fresh and fragrant.
The same is true for the freezer which requires careful periodic cleaning in order to preserve our food at its best. Cleaning and sanitizing it becomes indispensable for our health and to guarantee the long life of our appliances.
Let’s see how to clean a refrigerator that smells and to keep it sanitized with simple and effective methods.
On this page
Preliminary operations before defrosting the fridge and freezer
Before moving on to cleaning, there are some preliminary operations to be carried out. Eliminating frost is in fact important to guarantee long life for the appliance. Just follow these simple steps to perform the operation perfectly.
- Empty the fridge and the freezer. Take advantage of this step to discard the spoiled foods;
- Store the food in a cooler bag to keep it fresh;
- Remove shelves and drawers for deep cleaning;
- For external cleaning, use an antistatic cloth to collect the dust. Remove any dust from coils at the back of the fridge to guarantee better efficiency and reduce energy consumption;
- For a steel fridge, use a microfiber cloth or absorbent paper on which you can spray a solution of water and vinegar to make it shiny and eliminate any fingerprints.
The remedies and useful tips for a deep cleaning of the fridge and freezer
Now let’s see what are the most effective remedies to thoroughly clean our fridge and freezer to free the from bacteria & bad odors and also ensure their proper functioning. This is an operation to be carried out at least once a month for the refrigerator and two or three times a year for the freezer.
1. Vinegar or baking soda for gentle and effective internal cleaning
Start by cleaning the inside of the best refrigerator under 30000 in India using a solution made up of water and vinegar to remove stains and disinfect your appliance. You can also use water and baking soda for gentle but effective cleaning.
In general, do not use foaming and abrasive detergents, in order to avoid the formation of foam which would make rinsing difficult. Immerse the microfiber cloth in the solution you have made and pass it on all the internal surfaces of the fridge & freezer and on all the non-removable shelves. Then, rinse with a damp cloth.
Bicarbonate aka baking soda is also an excellent method for cleaning a new refrigerator before put it into operation. For a more effective action, pour a spoonful of baking soda and a small glass of white vinegar in half a liter of water. Apply it to the new appliance to disinfect and sanitize it safely. To clean the freezer, you must first defrost it using the special plastic spatula and without using steel objects or blades to avoid damaging it.
2. Dishwashing liquid and baking soda to clean drawers
To clean the refrigerator drawers, you can use two different remedies. To clean the ones containing meat and cheese, lukewarm water and dishwashing detergent can be used. To clean the vegetable drawer, you can use a mixture consisting of one liter of hot water and two tablespoons of baking soda.
Use a sponge soaked in either of the solutions to thoroughly clean the drawers. If your refrigerator is equipped with a water dispenser, use water and vinegar to clean it, thus eliminating germs and bacteria that can settle on the spout. Use a brush to clean more thoroughly. Finally, dispense some water to remove any vinegar residue.
3. Ammonia to clean the drain hole
Food residues can accumulate in the hole of the refrigerator. They must be removed otherwise they will clog the hole causing the fridge to drip. To clean it: identify where it is. Usually in the lower part in most refrigerator models. Then insert a plastic tube until it is pushed into the drain. Pour some water and ammonia into the hole to eliminate the bacteria. The water will settle in the waste water collector and evaporate in a few days.
4. Cleaning and replacement of gaskets
To clean the gaskets, put baking soda on a toothbrush and rub them. Leave the mixture for a few minutes and then rinse with a cloth soaked in water and vinegar. Once cleaned, sprinkle talcum powder or oil to keep them intact longer. This is an operation that should be performed every week. It is also useful to eliminate and prevent bad smells that often come from our refrigerator.
To remove mold from the seals, a solution with a high concentration of vinegar can be used. Alternatively, you can also dab them with hydrogen peroxide (40 volumes in cream). Then, with a toothbrush, put a little baking soda and rub, leaving it to act for at least half an hour. Afterwards, the seals must be rinsed with a damp cloth soaked in water and vinegar.
When the seals are too old, however, it is important to replace them to ensure greater efficiency and to limit consumption. In fact, the refrigerator is opened and closed many times during the day, so the seals are easily damaged. It is important, instead, that they work best to guarantee better performance and lower consumption. The replacement of the seals is a simple operation that you can carry out even on your own without the help of an expert.
Alternative remedies to eliminate bad smell from the refrigerator
Does your fridge give off bad smells and you don’t know how to get rid of them? Often, unpleasant smells come from the fridge, perhaps due to foods such as fish or some vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower. So, let’s see these eight simple and natural methods that will help you keep it always fresh and fragrant.
1. Alka Seltzer
It is an analgesic and, if placed in a glass in the back of the refrigerator, it will absorb all the smells in 24 hours. The fridge will no longer give off any bad smells when it is opened.
2. Vanilla extract
This method will eliminate annoying odors and also give the refrigerator a vanilla scent. To make it, just put a spoonful of vanilla extract on cotton balls. Once they have absorbed it, they must be placed in the back of the refrigerator. They will be an excellent deodorant.
3. Cedar peels and salt
This home remedy will also allow you to deodorize the fridge. First of all, you have to cut a cedar in half and completely eliminate its pulp. Then you will have to fill it with two spoons of sea salt. Salt will absorb and neutralize odors, while cedar will act as a deodorant.
This ecological product is an ideal solution for internal and external cleaning of the refrigerator. It has degreasing and disinfectant properties that remove dry food residues on surfaces. Given its intense fragrance, only 1/2 a glass of vinegar will be enough for a medium-sized fridge. Place it on any shelf of the fridge and replace it to be replaced every 7-10 days.
5. Baking soda
Thanks to its degreasing and antibacterial power, sodium bicarbonate is one of the best solutions for disinfecting the refrigerator. This ingredient removes food residues that adhere inside the appliance and, at the same time, neutralizes bad odors. You can pour it in a glass and place in a corner of the refrigerator, to absorb odors by purifying the air. Change it every week.
The natural acids contained in lemon juice are powerful cleansing agents that eliminate bacteria and dirt. The natural active ingredients of this juice make the refrigerator surface flawless and odor-proof. Before placing the lemon in the refrigerator, cut it into slices. Put them in a bowl and keep it in the back of the refrigerator. The lemon will need to be replaced after a week.
Even potato is an adequate absorber of smells. Just peel it and put it in the fridge. Replace it every 2 days until you have eliminated the bad smell. To make the remedy more effective, you can skewer cloves into the potato which will double its absorbency.
If you are about to throw the coffee pack away, you can use it as an odor remover for the fridge. Place the bag on a high shelf and make sure it remains open. Alternatively, you can spread coffee beans on the various shelves. You will be able to eliminate bad odors from the fridge in a few days.
Benefits of cleaning the refrigerator
A clean refrigerator is a necessity in any kitchen. Not only does it keep your food fresh and free of bacteria, but it also helps you to save money by reducing food waste. Here are some of the benefits of keeping your fridge clean:
- Food will last longer: When your fridge is clean, there is less chance for mold and bacteria to grow on your food. This means that your food will last longer, and you won’t have to throw it out as often.
- You’ll save money: Food waste is a huge problem in India. By keeping your fridge clean, you can reduce the amount of food waste you produce, and save money in the process.
- Your fridge will smell better: A clean fridge doesn’t just look nicer, it will also smell fresher. This is because there is less chance for mold and bacteria to grow in a clean environment.
- It’s easier to find what you’re looking for: When your fridge is organized and clean, it’s much easier to find what you’re looking for. This can save you time and frustration when you’re trying to find something in the middle of a chaotic mess.
- You’ll be less likely to get sick: Bacteria and mold can cause food poisoning. By keeping your fridge clean, you can reduce your risk of getting sick from contaminated food.
- Your fridge will run more efficiently: A dirty fridge has to work harder to keep your food cold. This means that it uses more energy, and costs you more money on your utility bills. A clean fridge, on the other hand, runs more efficiently and can save you money in the long run.
- Your fridge will be less noisy: A dirty fridge can make a lot of noise as the coils and fan struggle to do their job. A clean fridge, on the other hand, will run more quietly and won’t disturb you while you’re trying to sleep. To know more about what is the noise level of refrigerator, take a look at our guide on the topic.
- It’s just plain satisfying: There’s something satisfying about opening up a clean fridge and knowing that everything is in its place. It can give you a sense of pride and accomplishment, and make your kitchen feel more inviting.
Keeping your fridge clean has numerous benefits that extend far beyond simply keeping your food fresh. By taking the time to clean your fridge on a regular basis, you can enjoy all of these benefits and more. Whether you have a top freezer fridge or a bottom freezer one, the process is generally the same. A top freezer refrigerator is generally easier to keep clean than a bottom freezer one, but both require some effort on your part. Take a look at our article on Top Freezer vs Bottom Freezer refrigerator to know more.
Tips and tricks to follow to prevent fridge odor
Prevention is always the most effective remedy and it is the only way to defend against unpleasant odors. This is why it is important to implement some simple tips and tricks.
- Remember to store the food in airtight containers, better if transparent, so you can see the contents. In this way, not only will you avoid bad smells, but you will preserve food in the best way. It would be ideal to put a label near the container with date and content, so that you don’t forget the leftovers in the fridge for days.
- Check the state of conservation of fruit and vegetables to prevent them from spoiling and buy fresh meat and fish and eat them as soon as they are bought. If it is not possible, freeze them immediately after purchase.
- At least once a month clean the gaskets of the refrigerator. It is there that the bacteria that create the bad smell nest.
- Keep the refrigerator at a suitable temperature following the instructions of your appliance.
- Do not leave the refrigerator door open for too long
- Carefully pack the meats that should not come into contact with other food products.
- Never put hot products in the refrigerator. This increases the internal temperature of the appliance and in addition to requiring greater energy consumption, it allows some bacteria to work safely before the refrigerator returns to an adequate temperature.
Use containers to eliminate bad smells and make room
Once cleaning is finished, the refrigerator spaces will need to be rearranged. The first thing to do is to equip yourself with containers . Leaving leftovers uncovered feeds off odors and the proliferation of bacteria. Plus, the containers are easy to grab and help keep order. The most practical are those in plastic or glass, available in different shapes and sizes. Position them so that they are not against each other.
A good solution can also be vacuum bags, practical for long-term preservation of foods already divided into small portions. In this way, you can prepare large quantities of food all at once, but you can consume them a little at a time, without fear that something will perish.
Generally, refrigerators are equipped with a special drawer for fruit and vegetables. The most recent are also equipped with a zero drawer, in which to place the food being defrosted, to be consumed the next day or in the evening.
A good trick could turn out to be to place meat, vegetables and fish on the lowest shelf. These are foods that tend to lose fluids and drain; by placing them high, you risk ruining everything underneath. Better to reserve the upper spaces for dairy products, preserves, cold cuts and jars of pickles that you consider necessary to keep in the fridge.
Other Refrigerator Blogs
Refrigerator Buying Guide
Refrigerator By Features
- Best Refrigerator With Bottom Freezer
- 10 Best Refrigerators Without Freezer
- Best Double Door Refrigerator
- Best Refrigerator Above 500 Litres
- Top 5 Best Multi Door Refrigerators
- Best 5 Star Refrigerator In India
Refrigerator By Types
- LG 360 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Haier Fridge Review – Is Haier a Reliable Brand?
- Whirlpool Protton 330L 3 Door Refrigerator Review
- Haier 8 in 1 Convertible Refrigerator Review
- Panasonic 584 Litres Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- LG 687 L Frost Free Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- Bosch 559 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Voltas Beko Refrigerator Review
- Hisense Fridge Review
- MarQ Refrigerator Review
- Bosch Refrigerator Review
- Why Refrigerator Is Not Cooling?
- Why Is My Refrigerator Making Noise?
- Why Is The Refrigerator Not Dispensing Water?
- Common Refrigerator Problems
- Refrigerator Not Making Ice [Causes & Solutions]
- Refrigerator Starts And Stops Frequently [Causes & Solutions]
- Vegetables Freezing In Refrigerator [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge Compressor Not Working [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge not Cooling but Freezer Works [Fix]
- Fridge is not Cooling but the Light is On [Fix]
- Why is Fridge Light Not Working? [Fix]
Refrigerator By Brands
- 10 Best LG Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Hitachi Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Samsung Refrigerator
- LG Refrigerator Double Door 5 Star Latest Model
- Best Refrigerator Under 30000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 15000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 20000
- Top 10 Best Refrigerator Brands
- What to Keep in Mini Fridge?
- Best Storage Containers for Refrigerators
- Guide On How to Adjust Refrigerator Temperature Control
- What is Inverter Technology in Refrigerator?
- What Is Star Rating in Refrigerator?
- How Many Units of Electricity Consumed by Refrigerator?
- What is Frost Free Refrigerator?
- What is Smart Refrigerator?
- What is Coolpad in Refrigerator?
- What Is the Right Noise Level of Refrigerator?
- How To Organise The Refrigerator?
- How to use the refrigerator?
- What is Convertible Refrigerator?
- Where to Keep Refrigerator?
- Best Stabiliser for Refrigerator
- How Does Refrigerator Works?
- What Food Items Do You Preserve in a Refrigerator?
- What is Defrosting in Refrigerator?
- Know which Gas is Used in Refrigerator?
- What is a Direct Cool Refrigerator?
- How Long Do Refrigerators Last?
- Different Parts of Refrigerator
- What is French Door Refrigerator?