Practical and space-saving, the microwave oven is now an integral part of any Indian kitchen. The ability to heat drinks & food and cook in a short time makes it a precious ally, indispensable for both bachelors as well as large families.
However, intensive use often does not correspond to adequate cleaning. Here are some tips to keep this appliance always efficient and to avoid the spread of smoke and unpleasant odors when you turn it on.
We have consulted experts and put together this step-by-step guide on how to clean a microwave safely and effectively.
How to clean a microwave?
The microwave can be cleaned both with chemical detergents and with natural products. The first category includes special detergents and dishwashing detergents, while the second includes vinegar, lemon and baking soda.
If you opt for a specific microwave detergent, for correct cleaning, just follow the instructions on the package. If you use a dishwashing detergent you need to dissolve a quantity in a bowl full of water and place the latter in the microwave for 5 minutes at maximum temperature.
To obtain the best result, once the timer has sounded, you must be careful to wait 3/4 minutes before opening the microwave and removing the container carefully. Then, the walls can be cleaned with a sponge, while the glass turntable must be removed and washed by hand or in the dishwasher.
How to clean a microwave naturally?
In general, the microwave should be cleaned thoroughly once every few months and superficially at least every week. As for the exterior of the microwave, it can be cleaned with a multipurpose detergent and a cloth-like those used on other surfaces.
For the interior, on the other hand, which is most often affected by food residues or incrustations, there are several natural remedies to carry out the job in a simple and efficient way.
1. Clean microwave with vinegar
Why is vinegar a strategically when cleaning? Because it has degreasing, polishing and anti-limescale properties. It is perfect for eliminating bacteria and also for making surfaces shine. And its use applied to a dirty or encrusted microwave is no exception.
- All there is to do is fill half of a container (attention: it must be a suitable container for the microwave oven) with water
- Add a spoonful of vinegar.
- Put it in the oven, at medium power, for 3-5 minutes (each oven is different from the others, adjust more or less on the boiling time).
- In the end, the vinegar vapor will have already partially cleaned the surfaces, you will just have to wipe it all with a sponge or a slightly damp microfiber cloth.
Note: Attention to the semi-external rubber coating that surrounds the door: better to wipe it only with a cloth wet with water.
2. Clean microwave with baking soda
The baking soda is a kind of equivalent of vinegar, when it comes to work and house cleaning. In reality, the two products do not have exactly the same properties: if vinegar is an excellent degreaser, bicarbonate works more as a sanitizer and antibacterial. If you opt for this method, to finish cleaning the microwave oven,
- Just fill a suitable container with water
- Add three tablespoons of baking soda.
- Then the procedure is the same as for vinegar: the container must be placed in the oven and heated for a couple of minutes at maximum power.
- The next step is identical to that of the vinegar method: just wipe with a cloth or absorbent paper to complete the elimination of food or oil splashes.
3. Clean a microwave with lemon
Lemon is also a winning system to clean the microwave. It is a very acidic citrus and has detergent and antibacterial properties. Just dissolve some lemon juice in the usual container, half full of water or insert a few slices of the fruit and heat everything at maximum power for 3 minutes. In this case also, the degreasing action is produced by the evaporation of water and lemon. The cleaning must be completed (quickly and easily) by wiping with the usual cloth. The advantage of cleaning the oven with lemon is a pleasant scent that will affect the interior of the appliance.
How to clean greasy microwave doors?
It’s not just the inside that counts. Remove smudges and grease from the microwave’s exterior by following these tips.
Clean the rubber gasket around the door with a sponge dampened with water and dipped in a little baking soda. Wipe with a damp cloth or sponge to rinse.
For a greasy window, clean with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. Rinse and wipe dry.
For heavy grease build-up, wipe your microwave door down with an all-purpose, grease-cutting cleaner or a soapy mix of dish soap and water. Apply the cleaner with a cloth or sponge to prevent the cleaner from getting into the vent holes.
How to deodorize a microwave?
For light odors, air it out by leaving the door open or place a bowl of baking soda inside with the door closed to absorb smells. For strong odors, clean any leftover residue and place an odor-absorbing gel inside until you run it again.
Useful tips for cleaning a microwave
Here’s everything you need to know about microwave cleaning:
- Before wiping the microwave with a microfiber cloth, remove the glass turntable. Wash it separately, with simple dish detergent and an abrasive sponge.
- Before wiping the microwave with a microfiber cloth, unplug it and let the oven cool down for at least 5 to 10 minutes to avoid scalding.
- Avoid using chemical detergents for the inside of the oven. Residues may remain and then mix with the food that will be cooked later.
- To ensure that the microwave does not get too dirty, it is always better to cover the food during cooking with plates or special films.
- Stay away from bleach it actually weakens the plastic interior and damages the entire appliance in the long-run.
- If you come across stubborn spots that won’t easily wipe away, dip the corner of your dishtowel in the lemon-water and scrub until the spot comes away
Loved our blog on How To Clean A Microwave? Do share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.