Refrigerators can run into a whole lot of problems. Sometimes the light inside works, while there is no visible cooling being done. Sometimes, you might even see that your freezer works but the food in your fridge is getting spoilt due to inefficient cooling. Firstly, DIY fixing your refrigerator is never a good idea. Even if you have good understanding of how it works, it is always a better idea to take professional help. So, if you are wondering what the reason is for fridge not cooling but freezer works situation, read on ahead.
Customer support is highly effective at solving problems. So, do make sure you give them a call in case your refrigerator runs into some problems. Check out the best brands for refrigerators to make sure you get the best customer support possible.
On this page
Fridge not Cooling but Freezer Works – Possible Issues and Fixes
Why is my refrigerator not cooling? Well, there can be a wide range of answers to that problem.
If your fridge is not cooling but the freezer works, there are a few possible causes. First, check to see if the fridge is set to the correct temperature. If it is set too low, it may take longer for the fridge to cool down. Another possibility is that the fridge is not level. If the fridge is not level, the door might not be sealing properly, preventing cold air from staying inside.
The most common cause is a blockage in the airflow To troubleshoot this issue, start by checking the air vents to make sure they’re not blocked by dust or debris. You should also check the condenser coils to see if they’re dirty; if they are, clean them with a brush or vacuum. If neither of these solutions works, it’s possible that the problem lies with the evaporator fan motor.
This part is located behind the freezer wall, so you’ll need to call a refrigerator repair person to take a look at it. In rare cases, a fridge that isn’t cooling properly can be caused by a faulty compressor. This is a major repair and will require the help of an appliance technician.
Additionally, another reason why your freezer working but not fridge, is that the condenser coils might be dirty. The condenser coils are located behind the fridge and help to remove heat from the fridge. If they are covered in dust or pet hair, they will not be able to function properly. Finally, there might be a problem with the refrigerator itself. If none of these solutions solve the problem, you should call a repairman.
1. Evaporator Issues
One of the most common issues of your fridge not cooling but freezer works is that the evaporator coils are frozen. The evaporator coils are responsible for transferring heat from the fridge to the outside air. If the coils are frozen, they will not be able to properly transfer heat and the fridge will not be cooled properly.
One way to check if this is the problem is to feel the coils. If they are cold to the touch, then they are likely frozen and will need to be defrosted. Another way to tell if this is the problem is if there is ice buildup on the inside of the fridge. If you see ice on the coils, or on any of the other parts of the fridge, then it is likely that they are frozen and need to be defrosted.
To defrost the coils, you can either turn off the fridge and let it thaw naturally, or you can use a hair dryer to speed up the process. Either way, once the coils are defrosted, your fridge should return to normal operation.
Here is how you fix the freezer working but not fridge issue, given it is an evaporator problem
- Check the coils to see if they are cold.
- If the coils are frozen, they need to be defrosted.
- Check for ice build-up inside the refrigerator.
- If there is, defrost your entire refrigerator.
- To defrost, turn of the fridge, or let it thaw using the defrost function.
2. Condenser Issues
One of the most common issues people have with their fridges is that the freezer works fine but the fridge isn’t cooling properly. In most cases, this issue is caused by a problem with the condenser. The condenser is a coil that helps to regulate the temperature inside the fridge.
If the condenser is dirty or coated in dust, it can cause the fridge to malfunction. To clean the condenser, first unplug the fridge and then remove the panel on the back. Next, use a brush or vacuum to clean the coils. Once you’ve finished cleaning, replace the panel and plug the fridge back in. If the problem persists, you may need to replace the condenser.
If you feel the condenser is to blame for why the fridge is not cold but the freezer is, here is what you do.
- Unplug the refrigerator from the power and remove the back paneling very carefully.
- Use a brush or a vacuum cleaner to clean the condenser coils of any dirt or dust.
- Replace the panel and plug your refrigerator in.
- If the issue persists, better call a professional to take a look at it.
3. Defrost Problems
It can be very frustrating when your fridge is not working properly. One of the most common issues is that the fridge is not cooling but the freezer works. This can be caused by several different things, but the most likely culprit is a build-up of frost or ice. In order to fix this problem, you will need to defrost your fridge. Start by unplugging the fridge and taking everything out.
Once the fridge is empty, use a hairdryer to melt any ice that has built up on the coils. Once the coils are clear, wipe them down with a cloth and then plug the fridge back in. These steps should fix the problem and get your fridge working again.
If you have a frost free refrigerator, this problem might not occur in the first place, but in case it does, make sure to call your manufacturer about the issue.
Defrosting is easy actually, but can be a little messy. To defrost a refrigerator,
- Empty your refrigerator, especially the freezer section.
- Clean the coils around, and set the refrigerator on defrost mode, or simply turn it off.
- Let all the formed ice melt away.
- Check if the refrigerator is back up or not.
- If it is not, call customer support.
4. Temperature Control
If your refrigerator is not set on the right temperature, you might find it not functioning as well as it should. If you intentionally lowered the temperature and found that your refrigerator cannot cool anymore, chances are the ambient temperature outside requires your refrigerator to be even cooler to function well.
For that, simply reduce the temperature even further and see if it works. Also, make sure all doors are tightly sealed so that no cold air escapes.
Having set the temperature to too low can also cause your refrigerator to malfunction. If you have overstuffed your refrigerator and the temperature is set to low, chances are your refrigerator would seem like it isn’t functioning.
To fix this,
- Reduce the temperature further to see if that makes a difference.
- If it doesn’t, reduce the amount of items in your refrigerator.
- If that also does not work, the problem might be somewhere else.
- Call customer support for a better understanding of what might be wrong with your refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I fix my refrigerator not cooling but the freezer is fine?
First, check to see if the fridge is set to the correct temperature. If it’s too low, the fridge won’t cool properly. Another potential cause is a dirty condenser coils. These coils help to release heat from the fridge, and if they’re covered in dust or dirt, they won’t be able to do their job properly. Finally, make sure that the vents between the fridge and freezer are clear and not blocked by food or other objects.
What would cause a refrigerator to stop getting cold?
If your refrigerator is no longer generating cold air, there are a few potential causes. One possibility is that the fridge is not properly plugged into the power outlet properly. Another possibility is that the internal temperature coils are frozen over, preventing them from exchanging heat properly. Alternatively, the fridge may be set to too high of a temperature, causing it to work overtime and preventing it from getting cold enough. If you suspect that your fridge is not working properly, it is important to contact a qualified repair person as soon as possible.
In conclusion, if your fridge is not cooling but your freezer works, there are a few potential causes. First, check to see if the fridge is set to the correct temperature. If it is, then the next step is to clean the coils and make sure that the vents are clear. If those steps don’t solve the problem, then it’s likely that there is an issue with the compressor or evaporator fan. You may be able to fix these issues yourself, but it’s best to call a professional for help. With a little troubleshooting, you can quickly get your fridge back up and running.
Other Refrigerator Blogs
Refrigerator Buying Guide
Refrigerator By Features
- Best Refrigerator With Bottom Freezer
- 10 Best Refrigerators Without Freezer
- Best Double Door Refrigerator
- Best Refrigerator Above 500 Litres
- Top 5 Best Multi Door Refrigerators
- Best 5 Star Refrigerator In India
Refrigerator By Types
- LG 360 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Haier Fridge Review – Is Haier a Reliable Brand?
- Whirlpool Protton 330L 3 Door Refrigerator Review
- Haier 8 in 1 Convertible Refrigerator Review
- Panasonic 584 Litres Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- LG 687 L Frost Free Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- Bosch 559 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Voltas Beko Refrigerator Review
- Hisense Fridge Review
- MarQ Refrigerator Review
- Bosch Refrigerator Review
- Why Refrigerator Is Not Cooling?
- Why Is My Refrigerator Making Noise?
- Why Is The Refrigerator Not Dispensing Water?
- Common Refrigerator Problems
- Refrigerator Not Making Ice [Causes & Solutions]
- Refrigerator Starts And Stops Frequently [Causes & Solutions]
- Vegetables Freezing In Refrigerator [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge Compressor Not Working [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge is not Cooling but the Light is On [Fix]
- Why is Fridge Light Not Working? [Fix]
Refrigerator By Brands
- 10 Best LG Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Hitachi Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Samsung Refrigerator
- LG Refrigerator Double Door 5 Star Latest Model
- Best Refrigerator Under 30000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 15000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 20000
- Top 10 Best Refrigerator Brands
- What to Keep in Mini Fridge?
- Best Storage Containers for Refrigerators
- Guide On How to Adjust Refrigerator Temperature Control
- What is Inverter Technology in Refrigerator?
- What Is Star Rating in Refrigerator?
- How Many Units of Electricity Consumed by Refrigerator?
- What is Frost Free Refrigerator?
- What is Smart Refrigerator?
- What is Coolpad in Refrigerator?
- What Is the Right Noise Level of Refrigerator?
- How To Clean A Refrigerator?
- How To Organise The Refrigerator?
- How to use the refrigerator?
- What is Convertible Refrigerator?
- Where to Keep Refrigerator?
- Best Stabiliser for Refrigerator
- How Does Refrigerator Works?
- What Food Items Do You Preserve in a Refrigerator?
- What is Defrosting in Refrigerator?
- Know which Gas is Used in Refrigerator?
- What is a Direct Cool Refrigerator?
- How Long Do Refrigerators Last?
- Different Parts of Refrigerator
- What is French Door Refrigerator?