Is your fridge light not working? Are you worried about whether the issue is serious or something you can tackle yourself? Make sure you read the blog below to find out how your fridge light works, why it may not be working, whether or not the issue points to something serious and if you can fix the light yourself!
Not all services are so bad that you should hunt for a warranty card or call the professionals. Some faults and malfunctions can be fixed quickly. These mechanical home refrigerators only break for several reasons, but the modern, digital import is still trying to find out why they broke. To help you with the same, we have put together possible reasons behind why is the fridge light not working.
If you notice that your refrigerator light’s out, it’s essential to double-check that the malfunction was not caused by something more serious. Besides most major refrigerator brands in India offer warranty on their appliance, and you can contact them to get the light fixed if the problem persists.
On this page
How Do Refrigerator Bulbs Work?
Before understanding why fridge light not working, you must first understand how the refrigerator light works. When you open the refrigerator or freezer compartment door, a standard 120-volt light bulb illuminates. The refrigerator’s internal wiring supplies electricity to the outlet. It’s comparable to an incandescent light bulb but smaller and uses less energy.
A little lever or push button switch installed on the refrigerator door frame turns on the bulb. When the switch is pressed while the door is closed, it breaks the circuit and shuts off the light; when it is opened, it completes the course and turns on the light.
When the light stops working, determining the cause starts with the most accessible and most likely issues and progresses to more difficult-to-resolve problems. It could be as simple as changing a light bulb, or it could entail replacing the door switch, which is also a reasonably simple procedure. Continue reading below to figure out the possible reasons why is your fridge light not working!
Why Is the Fridge Light Not Working?
Below we discuss the possible reasons why is the refrigerator light not working:
1. Issues With Power Supply
If your refrigerator light is out, the first thing you should check is the power supply. Make sure that the refrigerator is plugged in and that there is power running to it. You can also check the refrigerator’s power cord to see if it is damaged. If it is, you will need to replace it. In some cases, the issue could be with the refrigerator itself and not the power supply. If this is the case, you will need to call a refrigerator repair technician to fix the issue.
2. Switch Is of the Light Is Broken
Some appliances have a push switch on the door that illuminates the refrigerator. It is advisable to check to see if one of these is installed in your appliance. If so, make sure the switch is functioning properly. By removing it from the appliance and testing it with a multimeter set to the ohmmeter mode, you may also test this component.
3. Bulb is Broken
If the refrigerator bulb is damaged, the little filament inside is probably damaged. The refrigerator bulb must be replaced. Another reason why refrigerator lights are out is because of a blown fuse. You can locate the fuse box inside your refrigerator. Once you have found it, open the panel and visually inspect each fuse. replace any blown fuses with new ones of the same amperage rating.
4. No Power/ Electric Issues
A fridge or freezer light not working can have various causes, one of which is electric issues. The bulb needs electricity in order to screw into a socket and be secured. To check if this is the issue, see if the voltage at the contacts on the socket are operational. If there is no electricity, then you’ll need to get a new socket. Safety cut-outs are usually equipped in some sockets, so the appliance should be unplugged for 30 minutes before being plugged back in.
5. Circuit Board is Broken
Another reason for your refrigerator light not working might be because the circuit board is broken. The control panel on the front of your refrigerator houses the circuit board. Your appliance might have a reed switch installed, and they occasionally malfunction. In the case that this happens, the light won’t turn on. If you suspect that this is the problem, you can check for signs of a burnt-out circuit board.
First, unplug your refrigerator and remove the control panel. Inspect the board for any burn marks or melted plastic. If you see any damage, it’s likely that you’ll need to replace the entire board. While this is a relatively easy repair, it’s best to leave it to a qualified technician.
6. Loose Connection
Another potential reason as to why the freezer light isn’t working could be because of a loose connection. This happens when the freezer door isn’t opening and closing properly, which then interrupts the power flowing to the freezer light bulb. The freezer door has a switch that controls the freezer light, and over time this switch can loosen up and cause an electrical disconnection. When this occurs, simply locate and tighten any loose screws on the freezer door hinges and/or freezer door itself.
Also read – Best Refrigerators: Guides, Reviews & Comparisons
How to Fix the Refrigerator Light?
Step 1: Make sure the light bulb is working. Screw it on or force it into its socket if it’s loose. If it won’t turn on, take it out and replace it with a new 40-watt one.
Step 2: If the new bulb does not work, unplug the refrigerator.
Step 3: Find the doorbell switch. It will be installed at a location that will activate when the door is shut.
Step 4: Pry the switch off the refrigerator with a knife slid behind it.
Step 5: Disconnect the door switch’s connectors. To avoid harming the connectors, place them on the cables rather than the wires themselves. To replace a button, look up the model number.
Step 6: Replace the switch and press it against the door again. Try it out by plugging it into the refrigerator.
Fridge Light Not Working – FAQs
Is my refrigerator still functional without the light?
If your fridge light has gone out, there’s no need to worry. Your fridge will still work just fine without the light. The best way to test whether your fridge is still working is to turn up the thermostat. If the compressor starts up, you’re good to go. Some older fridges take a little longer to start up, but you should be able to hear the compressor and feel the vibration from it. If the compressor doesn’t start up, call an appliance electrician.
Is there a fuse for the light on the refrigerator?
If you find the fridge light not working, it’s possible that the fuse has blown. To check, locate the circuit breaker or fuse box that controls the flow of power to the machine. If the fuse is damaged or blown, replace it with a new one. If the fuse is working properly, use a voltmeter to check the power flow to the circuit. If there’s no power flowing to the circuit, reset the breaker orreplace the fuse. Once power is restored, the light should come back on.
What is the location of the refrigerator fuse?
In most cases, the thermal fuse can be found either behind the paneling inside the fridge, or in the rear bottom next to the compressor. Once you have found it, check to see if it has blown. If so, you’ll need to replace it with a new one before your fridge will start working again. Want to know more about why is the fridge light not working? Make sure to read the blog above!
Fridge Light Not Working – Conclusion
Considering how affordable and accessible refrigerators are today, most homes have one. Knowing how to react to issues such as the light inside not working is a good idea. If the light in your fridge light not working, there are a few potential causes.
First, check to see if the light bulb is burned out and needs to be replaced. If the light bulb is fine, the next step is to check the wiring. If the wiring is loose or damaged, it will need to be repaired or replaced. Finally, if the problem persists, it may be due to a faulty switch or socket. In this case, you will need to call a professional for assistance. With a little troubleshooting, you should be able to identify and fix the problem quickly and easily.
Other Refrigerator Blogs
Refrigerator Buying Guide
Refrigerator By Features
- Best Refrigerator With Bottom Freezer
- 10 Best Refrigerators Without Freezer
- Best Double Door Refrigerator
- Best Refrigerator Above 500 Litres
- Top 5 Best Multi Door Refrigerators
- Best 5 Star Refrigerator In India
Refrigerator By Types
- LG 360 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Haier Fridge Review – Is Haier a Reliable Brand?
- Whirlpool Protton 330L 3 Door Refrigerator Review
- Haier 8 in 1 Convertible Refrigerator Review
- Panasonic 584 Litres Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- LG 687 L Frost Free Side by Side Refrigerator Review
- Bosch 559 Litre Refrigerator Review
- Voltas Beko Refrigerator Review
- Hisense Fridge Review
- MarQ Refrigerator Review
- Bosch Refrigerator Review
- Why Refrigerator Is Not Cooling?
- Why Is My Refrigerator Making Noise?
- Why Is The Refrigerator Not Dispensing Water?
- Common Refrigerator Problems
- Refrigerator Not Making Ice [Causes & Solutions]
- Refrigerator Starts And Stops Frequently [Causes & Solutions]
- Vegetables Freezing In Refrigerator [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge Compressor Not Working [Causes & Solutions]
- Fridge not Cooling but Freezer Works [Fix]
- Fridge is not Cooling but the Light is On [Fix]
Refrigerator By Brands
- 10 Best LG Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Hitachi Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Best Samsung Refrigerator
- LG Refrigerator Double Door 5 Star Latest Model
- Best Refrigerator Under 30000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 15000 In India
- Best Refrigerator Under 20000
- Top 10 Best Refrigerator Brands
- What to Keep in Mini Fridge?
- Best Storage Containers for Refrigerators
- Guide On How to Adjust Refrigerator Temperature Control
- What is Inverter Technology in Refrigerator?
- What Is Star Rating in Refrigerator?
- How Many Units of Electricity Consumed by Refrigerator?
- What is Frost Free Refrigerator?
- What is Smart Refrigerator?
- What is Coolpad in Refrigerator?
- What Is the Right Noise Level of Refrigerator?
- How To Clean A Refrigerator?
- How To Organise The Refrigerator?
- How to use the refrigerator?
- What is Convertible Refrigerator?
- Where to Keep Refrigerator?
- Best Stabiliser for Refrigerator
- How Does Refrigerator Works?
- What Food Items Do You Preserve in a Refrigerator?
- What is Defrosting in Refrigerator?
- Know which Gas is Used in Refrigerator?
- What is a Direct Cool Refrigerator?
- How Long Do Refrigerators Last?
- Different Parts of Refrigerator
- What is French Door Refrigerator?
Leave a Reply