The dark chocolate made by best dark chocolate brands is the main ingredient in many after-dinner desserts and tasty snacks. Rich, complex, with a pleasant bitter note, this ingredient has a remarkable appeal for its refined aesthetic in the coverings and is irresistible in the fillings of cakes and mignon.
Not to mention that it brings several important health benefits. And if you are a little down, it is a lifesaver to see life in a new, positive perspective.
Dark chocolate is a special type of chocolate that has a particularly high concentration of antioxidants and healthy natural compounds. It is a useful food to add to your diet and that of your loved ones to improve heart well-being, longevity, and resistance to chronic diseases.
This food is also quite rich in sugar, and thanks to its natural bitter note, it adds a delicious touch to pastry and chocolate products. Below we present the best dark chocolates brands.
Best dark chocolate brands
- Amul 99% Cacao Ultimate Dark Chocolate
- Cadbury Bournville Rich Cocoa 50% Dark Chocolate
- Ketofy 60% Dark Keto Chocolate
- Lindt Excellence 90% Cocoa Dark Supreme Noir Chocolate Bar
- Zevic Belgian Sugar-Free 70% Dark Chocolate
- Keto Culture 85% Dark Cacao Dark Chocolate
- BarADay Hearty Bite 70% Dark Chocolate Energy Bar
- KitKat 76% Dark Ecuador Coted’ivoire Chocolate
- Ghirardelli Intense Dark Sea Salt Soiree Dark Chocolate
- Brookside Dark Blueberry and Acai Chocolate
- DOVE PROMISES Dark Chocolate Candy Bag
- Green & Black’s Organic 70% Dark Chocolate Bar
- Godiva 85% Dark Chocolate
- Toblerone Dark Chocolate with Honey and Almond Nougat
1. Amul 99% Cacao Ultimate Dark Chocolate
Amul 99% Cacao is an exceptional chocolate experience that delights you with the full-bodied rich taste & strength of single origin cocoa beans. It has zero sugar and is a delight for extremely dark and bitter chocolate connoisseurs. Nibble it to truly appreciate the striking notes of fresh, pure cocoa.
- Pure dark chocolate
- No sugar
- No milk solids
- No vegetable fat
- Caloric Value: 587 kcal per 100g serving
- Can be used for baking and cooking purpose
Cocoa Solids, Permitted Emulsifiers (E322, E476)
2. Cadbury Bournville Rich Cocoa 50% Dark Chocolate
Bournville Rich Cocoa Chocolate is irresistible and specially created to savor the palate with 50% cocoa and a smooth texture. The finest cocoa beans that have the perfect size and aroma go in to the making of this Bournville. Each little chunk is dark with rich Cocoa offering that allows you to end your day on a perfect note.
- Made from the finest cocoa beans that have the perfect size & aroma
- Offers the sheer luxury and goodness of premium dark chocolate
- Allows you to relax, unwind and end your day on a sweet note with Rich cocoa
- Irresistible taste
- Caloric Value: 556 kcal per 100g serving
Sugar, Cocoa solids (40%), Cocoa butter (10%), Milk solids, Emulsifiers (442, 476), Added Flavor (natural and nature identical flavoring substances)
3. Ketofy 60% Dark Keto Chocolate
With 1g net carb per serving, this chocolate is made from the natural sweetener stevia which is 10x times sweeter than sugar and is non-caloric. It has no hydrogenated oils, no xylitol, and no added preservatives. The Keto Dark Chocolate is formulated with 60% intense high-quality Dark Chocolate to lift your chocolate experience.
- Made with real cocoa butter and authentic cocoa (unsweetened)
- Sugar free
- Includes a large number of natural, healthy acids and vitamins
- Ideal for Keto Diet, Low Carb Diet, Gluten-Free Diet, Vegan Diet, Atkins Diet or General Healthy Diet Regime
- Gluten free
- 100 percent vegan
- Rich in proteins
- No hydrogenated oils, no xylitol, no sorbitol, no resistant dextrin
- FSSAI Approved
- Caloric Value: 43 kcal per 12.5g serving
Cocoa Butter, Cocoa, Sweetener (Erythritol), Natural Vanilla Extract, Artificial Flavor
4. Lindt Excellence 90% Cocoa Dark Supreme Noir Chocolate Bar
Lindt Excellence Intense Dark 90% Cocoa Chocolate is a bar of rich, luxurious chocolate made with the finest ingredients by our Master Chocolatiers. The perfect blend of smooth dark chocolate with 90% cocoa content combines a profound cocoa flavor and surprisingly balanced taste to create an experience to treat all senses.
- Dark chocolate tablet with 90 Percent Cocoa
- Smooth and rich dark chocolate experience
- Profound cocoa flavor and balanced taste
- Created by the Lindt Master Chocolatiers unmatched expertise
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Made with premium ingredients from world-renowned regions
- Caloric Value: 556 kcal per 100g serving
Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Butter, Low Fat Cocoa Powder, Sugar, Vanilla, May Contain Hazelnuts, Milk, Soya
5. Zevic Belgian Sugar-Free 70% Dark Chocolate
This guilt-free sweet treat is the perfect blend of Belgian cocoa and natural, zero-calorie stevia. The organic sweet taste of the Stevia goes hand in hand with the Belgian cocoa, making this the perfect indulgence. Each chocolate is curated carefully and combines the highest quality of ingredients ensuring unmatched taste.
- Sweetened with Natural Stevia
- No added sugar
- Ideal for health-conscious, diabetic, and calorie-conscious
- Keto Friendly
- Works as a non-caloric sugar substitute in baking, cooking, and beverages
- Made from organic ingredients
- Caloric Value: 212.5 kcal per 40g serving
Unsweetened Belgian Cocoa, Cocoa Butter, Stevia Extracts, Maltitol, Emulsifiers (322, 476), Erythritol
6. Keto Culture 85% Dark Cacao Dark Chocolate
Made from a combination of finest organic Indian cacao and Brazil nuts sourced from the Amazon Rainforest in Brazil, this crackly chocolate bar is an epitome of luxurious indulgence. It is a beautiful masterpiece with extra richness and silkiness solely attributed to the 85% pure cocoa content, an embodiment of heaven on earth.
- Made with organic cacao beans and cocoa butter
- Sweetened with stevia
- Strengthened with raw, hormone-free, lactose free, whey protein isolate
- No artificial flavors, stabilizers, or preservatives
- 100 percent natural sugar-free chocolate
- PCOS and Diabetes friendly
- Soy- and Gluten-free
- Caloric Value: 406 kcal per 100g serving
Cocoa Beans, Cocoa Butter, Arabica Coffee, Monk Fruit
7. BarADay Hearty Bite 70% Dark Chocolate Energy Bar
Hearty Bite Energy Bars are the ultimate performance energy bars, purposefully crafted with clean, wholesome, and delicious plant-based superfoods with ideal mix of protein, healthy omega fats, and carbohydrates to sustain active bodies before, during long-lasting, moderate-intensity activity, healthy & immunity boosting essential nutrition choice for all age groups.
- No added sugar
- No preservatives and artificial flavors
- No processed foods
- No syrups, oils, or hidden ingredients
- Healthy & immunity boosting
- Made with power-packed and highly nutritious superfoods
- Topped with antioxidant rich, delicious flavor choices
- Caloric Value: 243 kcal per 50g (1 bar) serving
Walnut, Almonds, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Black Raisins, Rolled Oats, Dates, Natural Raw Honey, Dark Chocolate (70% Cocoa)
8. KitKat 76% Dark Ecuador Coted’ivoire Chocolate
- The perfect balance of crisp wafer and dark chocolate
- 11 easy to break pieces to satisfy any sized craving
- Re-closable packaging helps maintain freshness for the best experience every time
- No artificial colors
- All-natural flavors
- Caloric Value: 79 kcal per 15.4g (1 finger) serving
Sugar, Cocoa Mass, Wheat Flour, Cocoa Butter, Vegetable Fat [Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin)], Milk Solids, Emulsifiers (Soy Lecithin, 476), Cocoa, Glucose Syrup, Salt, Yeast, Flavors, Raising Agent (Sodium Bicarbonate)
9. Ghirardelli Intense Dark Sea Salt Soiree Dark Chocolate
Each impeccable square of the Ghirardelli Intense Dark Chocolate caters to your senses with an intricate combination of the luxurious taste of the finest cacao beans and subtle yet irresistible flavors of sea salt crystals and roasted almonds. Crunchy and complex, this memorable bar is the epitome of sweet and salty perfection and ideal for a mid-day break.
- Robust dark chocolate perfectly complimented by savory sea salt
- Delivers the most intense chocolate experience
- Made from sustainably sourced cocoa beans
- Refined for ultimate velvety smoothness
- Caloric Value: 130 kcal per 25g serving
Cane Sugar, Unsweetened Chocolate, Almonds, Cocoa Butter, Milk Fat, Sea Salt, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract
10. Brookside Dark Blueberry and Acai Chocolate
Each piece is a satisfying combination of smooth dark chocolate covering soft centers made with the flavors of acai and blueberries. It has just the right amount of sweet flavor for a treat or to add to a homemade trail mix. Brookside dark chocolate with acai and blueberry benefits is also a kosher candy and can be enjoyed by those that may have certain dietary restrictions.
- Smooth dark chocolate with soft fruit-flavored centers
- Made with a blend of acai-berry, blueberry and other select fruit flavors
- A certified Kosher candy
- Perfect as a sweet treat or in homemade trail mix
- Bite-sized ball shape
- Caloric Value: 448 kcal per 100g serving
Dark Chocolate [Sugar; Chocolate; Cocoa Butter; Cocoa Processed with Alkali; Milk Fat; Lecithin (Soy); Milk; Salt; Natural Vanilla Flavor]; Sugar; Corn Syrup; Maltodextrin; Deionized Apple Juice Concentrate; Natural Flavor; Pomegranate Juice Concentrate; Pectin; Malic Acid; Apple Juice Concentrate; Raspberry Juice Concentrate; Blueberry Juice Concentrate; Canola Oil; Acai Puree Concentrate; Cranberry Juice Concentrate; Lemon Juice Concentrate; Baking Soda; Ascorbic Acid; Sodium Citrate; Citric Acid; Confectioner’s Glaze.
11. DOVE PROMISES Dark Chocolate Candy Bag
Made with only the finest cacao, DOVE PROMISES Silky Smooth Dark Chocolate Candy is a treat that will brighten your day. Each candy comes individually wrapped in foil with a special message inscribed on the inside. Whether eaten as a delightful snack or as a deliciously simple dessert, these iconic dark chocolate candies will make you feel indulgent and pampered.
- Made with real dark chocolate
- Individually wrapped in foil with a special message in each wrapper
- Perfect for sharing with friends, family or the office
- Each bag has a resealable zipper for easy storage
- Caloric Value: 170 kcal per 32g serving
Sugar, Chocolate, Chocolate Processed with Alkali, Cocoa Butter, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor
12. Green & Black’s Organic 70% Dark Chocolate Bar
Each gourmet bar is made from USDA Organic, Fair Trade, and UN Certified Ethically Sourced cacao beans for a delicious chocolate experience that benefits farming communities. Cocoa butter and a touch of vanilla combines with 85% cacao, to produce a smooth and intensely dark chocolate experience. It is perfect for the chocolate lover who wants to experience the full, intense flavor of organic cocoa combined with the best ingredients.
- Rich taste
- Made with Trinitario cocoa beans
- Finest organic quality
- Smooth and intense dark chocolate
- USDA Organic, Fair Trade, and UN Certified Ethically Sourced chocolate
- Deep, balanced flavor
- Caloric Value: 250 kcal per 40g serving
Organic Chocolate, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Cocoa, Organic Raw Cane Sugar, Organic Vanilla Extract
13. Godiva 85% Dark Chocolate
Introducing Godiva’s darkest, richest, most satisfying chocolate yet – the Pure 85% Dark Chocolate Bar. This luscious chocolate bar is 85% pure cacao and 100% wonderful! With this chocolate bar, there is plenty to savor yourself and share with friends. Whether you are looking for an afternoon pick-me-up or an evening indulgence, every bite of this 85% dark chocolate bar tastes like luxury.
- High sheen
- Deep, balanced flavor
- Exceptional quality
- Caloric Value: 589 kcal per 100g serving
Bittersweet Chocolate (Unsweetened Chocolate, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier)
14. Toblerone Dark Chocolate with Honey and Almond Nougat
Reawaken your taste buds with Swiss dark chocolate and TOBLERONE’s signature honey-almond nougat. Made with fine ingredients, this gourmet European chocolate bar has a distinct taste and iconic shape. More distinctive than the shape is the taste of smooth Swiss dark chocolate and rich honey-almond nougat.
- Famous distinctive Toblerone triangular shape with individual bits
- Light crispy taste of nougat, honey, and almonds
- Caloric Value: 180 kcal per 32g serving
Cocoa Mass, Sugar, Milk Fat, Honey (3%), Almonds (1,6%), Cocoa Butter, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Egg White
Other popular dark chocolate brands
Apart from the brands we have mentioned above, there are a few other popular brands that are frequently recommended by chocolate connoisseurs. We have enumerated them below:
17. Mojo Bar Thins
20. Didier & Frank
22. Queen & Bee
What are the health benefits of dark chocolate?
For dark chocolate to be beneficial for mind and body, it is important to choose the one that has at least 70% cocoa, consuming a daily amount of about 10-15 grams, or 30 grams if consumed sporadically. Thanks to the content of flavonoids and polyphenols, dark chocolate protects the heart, as it keeps the arteries flexible, also fighting hypertension. The theobromine content, then, has a cardiac stimulating action, preventing heart attack.
Dark chocolate also has an antidepressant action, in fact it contains tryptophan, a substance that stimulates the production of serotonin, the hormone of happiness. This beneficial effect would also affect sleep, ensuring a better night rest: just do not exceed in quantity, as chocolate also contains a small amount of caffeine which can cause a moment of euphoria.
The flavonoid content, on the other hand, reduces blood sugar levels by increasing the good HDL cholesterol and decreasing the bad LDL and triglycerides. Consuming extra dark chocolate would also help prevent type 2 diabetes and fight insulin resistance. Furthermore, if consumed in the right quantities within a low-calorie diet, chocolate also helps to lose weight: the fibers contained in dark chocolate, in fact, reduce the sense of hunger. The good rule is therefore not to exceed in consumption, remembering that it is still a food that contains fat and calories.
How to choose the best dark chocolate?
An essential ally against blues, ideal asset for reconciliations, perfect gift to start a relationship, chocolate is much more than a sweet treat. To help you in your choice, we have therefore put together some interesting characteristics to consider before purchasing:
Ingredients to look for
On the market we find dark chocolate bars of different quality, with significant price differences. To choose a good product it is necessary to read the label, which contains all the information that guides our choice. The quality of the chocolate depends on the raw material and the processing process of the cocoa beans. The best chocolate should only contain cocoa mass, cocoa butter, and sugar in small quantities. The percentage indicated on the label includes cocoa mass and cocoa butter.
In the first place in the list of ingredients must be the cocoa mass which must be higher than 43% and which determines its aroma. A good chocolate should contain no fats other than cocoa butter, which must be less than 28%. It is added to make the chocolate softer but having a high cost it is often mixed with other vegetable fats that by law can be added up to a maximum of 5%.
The most used is palm oil, but also shea butter and other inexpensive fats which significantly lower the quality of the chocolate. After cocoa butter we find sugar, in fact, by law, chocolate must contain at least 1% sugar. Some manufacturers add sweeteners, but it is better to choose a chocolate with little sugar, perhaps unrefined like cane sugar, or at most with natural sweeteners such as Stevia rather than with synthetic sweeteners.
In addition to the 3 main ingredients, many bars contain flavors to make the chocolate more fragrant. It is always better to choose one without any aroma, to better appreciate the taste of chocolate and also because it could be artificial flavors. In chocolate we can also find lecithin, a substance that is added as an emulsifier and which is natural, extracted from egg yolk or soy. It helps both for the processing and for the conservation of chocolate. In its absence, higher percentages of cocoa butter are needed with a consequent increase in cost.
Ideal percentage of cocoa
In dark chocolate, the cocoa content is usually between about 50 and 100 percent. The higher the cocoa content, the more intense the taste of cocoa.
While milk chocolate is usually only perceived as pleasantly sweet in taste due to its high sugar content, complex flowery or even sour-fruity aromas are revealed when eating dark chocolate, which vary depending on the cocoa cultivation area.
Dark chocolate with a cocoa content of 90% or more has a sweetness that can hardly be tasted. Not everyone likes such a bitter chocolate, but in combination with an aromatic coffee, a good red wine or whiskey it can become an integral part of a special moment of pleasure.
Choose Fair-Trade and Organic Chocolate
Choose chocolate made from fair-trade and organic cacao beans whenever possible. Choosing Fairtrade chocolate means you’re putting fair pay and more power into the hands of farmers and workers to invest in their communities and fight the effects of climate change. Organic cocoa beans are produced using farming practices that work in harmony with the local ecosystem to ensure sustainability.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Is 85% dark chocolate dairy-free?
On the market you can find milk-free bars in 85%, 75% and 60% dark versions. If you are intolerant or allergic to milk and its derivatives, read the label carefully: many of these bars are produced in the same factory as milk chocolate bars and can therefore be subject to cross-contamination.
2. Can lactose intolerant eat dark chocolate?
If your symptoms are severe, you may not be able to eat milk chocolate. Fortunately, there are many alternatives available, such as extra dark chocolate and dairy-free chocolate. The latter may be a better option, as it is less likely to contain dairy products.
3. Is dark chocolate healthy?
If you buy quality dark chocolate with a high cocoa content, then it is nutritious. It contains a fair amount of soluble fiber and is enriched with minerals. A 100-gram dark chocolate bar with 70–85% cocoa contains 11 grams of fiber, 67% of the RDI of iron, 58% of the RDI of magnesium, 89% of the RDI of copper and 98% of the RDI of manganese. It also has a high content of potassium, phosphorus, zinc, and selenium. Of course, 100 grams (3.5 ounces) is a fairly large amount and not something you should be consuming daily. All these nutrients also come with 600 calories and moderate amounts of sugar. For this reason, dark chocolate is best consumed in moderation.
4. What are the side effects of dark chocolate?
In addition to its many benefits, dark chocolate is contraindicated in some cases. It is not recommended for consumption during pregnancy, breastfeeding and in children under 3 years of age, due to its stimulating effect. Being a food that contains fat, it is contraindicated for those suffering from liver disease, as it can strain the liver. It can also promote the onset of migraines, due to serotonin. Therefore, avoid consuming it if you suffer from headaches. Dark chocolate could also cause addiction, due to the presence of substances such as tyramine and phenylethylamine, furthermore it is necessary to limit its consumption in case of gastroesophageal reflux, gastritis, ulcer, and irritable colon.
5. What is the best sugar-free dark chocolate for diabetics?
- Amul Sugar-Free Dark chocolate bars
- Amul 99% Cacao Chocolate
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Intense Dark Squares in Midnight Reverie
- MuscleBlaze High Protein Bars in Chocolate Fudge (10 bars)
- Ketofy All Natural SugarFree Intense Dark Chocolate
- Hershey’s sugar-free, caramel filled chocolate
- Zevic Belgian Dark Chocolate– Sugar Free
- Bogatchi 99% Dark Chocolate
- Keto Culture Dark chocolate
- Lindt 85% cocoa bars
6. Can I eat dark chocolate at night?
Due to the fact that cocoa powder contains high levels of both theobromine and caffeine, dark chocolate can cause some unsavory effects when eaten before bed, including insomnia and sleep disturbances. It’s even been linked to a higher chance of nightmares. Caffeine content increases as cacao content increases and varies greatly depending on the manufacturer of the chocolate.
7. How much dark chocolate can I consume?
The recommended “dose” is approximately 1 to 2 ounces or 30-60g. Indulge in anything more than that, and you may be consuming too many calories. People who are interested in adding dark chocolate to their diet should keep in mind that it is high in fat and calories, so moderation is key.
Using dark chocolate in your confectionery creations is not just a greedy choice: it is also healthy. But to get all its benefits it is important to choose a product that is low in sugar and free of potentially harmful substances. As a general principle, avoid low prices and aim for quality. In this article we have presented what are the aspects to consider when buying to guarantee your preparations all the benefits of this refined ingredient.