Best Lip Balms In India 2019: Lip Balm is a must-have beauty product for both men and women, especially in the winter season. The cold chills and dry weather in the winters often make the lips dry and chapped. The easiest way to repair the cracked lips and prevent further damage is to use a nourishing lip balm. We have compiled a list of top 25 best lip balms that will not only moisturize your lips but also protect them from the harsh sun rays, dry wind, and air pollutants all day long.
A lip balm rejuvenates and enriches the skin of your lips and gives you flawlessly lustrous lips with a perfectly smooth texture. Regular use of a high-rated lip balm makes you enjoy winters without worrying about the cracked, painful, and bleeding lips.
Top 25 Best Lip Balms in India 2019
With the easy availability of a large variety of lip balms in India, it can surely be confusing and truly overwhelming for you to choose the best one from the huge array. We are here to help you compare the features of the best lip balms in India and find your perfect lip balm based on your needs and usage.
Top 10 Best Lip Balms in India 2019 Reviewed
1. Nivea Lip Balm
- Quantity: 4.8gm
- Prevents moisture loss
- Effectively protects lips from drying out
- The moisturising formula leaves your lips soft and smooth
- Weightless texture with no colour
- 12 Hour Moisturization
- Enriched with natural shea butter and Hydra IQ for long lasting moisture
- For all weather conditions
- Skin compatibility dermatologically approved
- Skin Type: Normal skin
Get sensationally soft lips with the rich care of Nivea Original Care Lip Balm. Enriched with Shea Butter and Panthenol, this Nivea Lip Balm effectively protects your lips from drying out for a 12-hour period thus leaving you with soft and smooth lips in all weather conditions.
2. Himalaya Lip Balm
- Quantity: 4.5gm
- Makes lips soft and supple
- Enriched with 100 percentage natural colour, vitamin E, antioxidants and rich cocoa butter
- Free from preservatives, petroleum jelly, mineral oil and silicone
- Dermatologically tested, noncomedogenic and hypoallergenic
- Contains Cocoa butter and Castor Oil
- Skin Type: All Skin Types
Indulge your lips with Himalaya herbals’ intensely moisturizing rich cocoa butter lip care. This luxurious Himalaya Lip Balm moisturizes your lips to keep them soft and supple. Its moisture retention formula with skin soothers makes your lips naturally glossy while the antioxidants and natural actives care for your lips by protecting them from environmental damage. Enriched with 100% natural colour, vitamin E and antioxidants, Himalaya rich cocoa butter lip care is free from preservatives, petroleum jelly, mineral oil and silicone.
3. Maybelline Lip Balm
- Jojoba and pro vitamin E formula keeps lips hydrated all day
- SPF 16 for sun protection
- Colour bloom technology with tone revealing pigments that react with your lips to give them the perfect flush of colour
- 6 Hours of moisture
- Colour: Pink Bloom
- Quantity: 1.7gm
Designed to keep lips protected and moisturized, this Maybelline Lip Balm hydrates and renews lips, giving you soft, moist lips, throughout the day. Enriched with Jojoba oil and Vitamin E, it nourishes and protects your lips. This lip balm comes with a unique colour bloom technology that reacts with your lips to give them a sensationally sheer pink colour. It also comes an SPF of 16 for sun protection.
4. Vaseline Lip Balm
- UVA and UVB Sunscreen
- Long lasting intensive moisturization
- Locks in moisture and helps repair dry, dull, cracked lips
- For instantly soft pink lips
- Gives sheer pink tint and natural, glossy shine
- Help lips recover from dryness and discomfort
- Quantity: 10gm
This Vaseline lip balm helps in locking moisture in and tackles the reasons for dry lips. It instantly softens the lips and gives them a soft pink colour with a natural glossy shine. It contains the goodness of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and UVA & UVB sunscreens. This effective skin protectant keeps your lips from chapping, windburns and cuts. It is specially designed for itchy dry lips and is ideal to use during the harsh winter season.
5. Biotique Lip Balm
- Quantity: 12gm
- This de-pigmentation balm visibly lightens lips for a fairer skin tone
- Ingredients: Angur (Vitis vinifera), Vach (Acours calamus), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Badam (Prunus amygdalus), Surajmukhi (Helianthus annus), Kusumbhi (Carthamus tinctorius), Til (Sesamum indicum), Erandi (Ricinus communis), Madam bass Q.S
- Flavour for Refiner: Fruity
- Mulethi extract can help to soften your lips
- Vach helps to re-establish blood circulation and aids in maintaining the youthful look
- Angur consists of plant emollients which can prevent dryness, moisture loss and cell damage caused because of using other chemical products
- Surajmukhi is rich in Vitamin E and helps to retain the natural moisture of your lips
- Badam is also enriched with Vitamin E, which can reduce the inflammation of chapped lips, and enhances natural glow
- Erandi is another ingredient which can add soft shine to your lips
Get flawless and lustrous lips by regularly applying this Biotique Bio Fruit Whitening Lip Balm. It is a safe and secure solution for those who want to get rid of darkened lips. Made from ingredients like Angur, Mulethi, Badam, Kusumbhi and Til, this Biotique Lip Balm can lighten your lips and give them an even-tone. While the herbal constituents help with de-pigmentation, the fruit contents in Biotique Bio Fruit Whitening Lip Balm can revitalise your lips and give it a natural glow. The essential vitamins in the lip balm can smoothen the texture of your lips and make sure you have a flawless pout.
6. Burt’s Bees Lip Balm
- Softens and nourishes dry lips
- With Responsibly Sourced Beeswax
- Made with Peppermint Oil for a refreshing tingle
- Infused with Beeswax, a natural skin conditioner and Vitamin E to moisturize
- Formulated without Parabens, Phthalates, Petrolatum or SLS
- Ingredients: beeswax cocos nucifera (coconut) oil helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil mentha piperita (peppermint) oil tocopheryl acetate lanolin symphytum officinale (comfrey) root extract rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil tocopherol
- Quantity: 0.15 oz
This natural lip balm moisturizes lips with ingredients like ultra-emollient lanolin coconut oil and sunflower oil and seals in hydration with beeswax. A final hint of Peppermint Oil provides that one-of-a-kind refreshing tingle. Apply this Burt’s Bees Lip Balm liberally to your lips as often as needed, particularly in dry, cold or windy conditions.
7. Lakme Lip Balm
- Quantity: 4.5 gm
- Colour: Cherry
- Lip balm for soft lips
- 22 hrs moisturisation for your Lips
- SPF 15 that protects your lips from sun
- Touch of colour for your lips
- Long lasting care
- New vibrant pack & super moisturizing formula
Get soft lips all day with this all-new Lakme Lip Balm. It’s new super moisturizing formula gives you 22-hours of intense moisture so you can say goodbye to dry lips. It has SPF 15 that helps protect your lips from the harmful rays of the sun. One quick swipe and you can seal in the moisture to get soft lips all day.
8. Neutrogena Lip Balm
- Quantity: 4gm
- Lip Balm for dry, chapped lips
- Contains SPF15 sunscreen for protection from UVA & UVB rays.
- Dermatologist tested
The Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Lip Moisturizer SPF 15 is a good lip protection balm. It rejuvenates the lip skin and keeps it healthy and soft. It prevents the lips from drying up which further prevents cracked and chapped lips. The lip balm conditions the lips and keeps them protected and soft all year round, in all weather conditions and seasons. The moisture-enriched formula contains SPF 15 sunscreen for protection from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays and is formulated without colour, fragrance or any additives. This Neutrogena lip balm contains a powerful moisturizing ingredient, Glycerine, that draws moisture from the air, and from your own natural reserves deep in the skin. Glycerine, with a combination of emollients, helps hold moisture to relieve even the driest skin.
9. Forest Essentials Lip Balm
- Quantity: 4.54gm
- Replenishes and softens dry, chapped lips
- Gently heals and hydrates the lips
- Moisturises and soothes dry lips
- Contains fresh rose petals soaked in honey
- Other ingredients include Kokum Butter, Organic Beeswax and Cocoa Seed Butter
- Ayurvedic formulation
- Handmade using traditional methods
- Contains organic, cold-pressed oils
- Contains rare plant extracts
The Sugared Rose Petal Forest Essentials Lip Balm is uniquely designed to replenish and soften dry, chapped lips. Due to its extraordinary moisturizing and hydrating properties, it seals in moisture and soothes dry lips leaving them soft and glossy. This lip balm contains fresh rose petals soaked in honey to protect your lips. Other ingredients include Kokum Butter, Organic Beeswax and Cocoa Seed Butter. While Kokum Butter is easily absorbed into the skin and helps to regenerate and nourish skin cells, Organic Beeswax deeply nourishes, rejuvenates and firms the skin. Cocoa Seed Butter is a rich, superfatted butter which nourishes skin, makes it supple and restores elasticity to it.
10. Khadi Lip Balm
- Moisturizes lips, keeps lips hydrated
- Heals chapped lips
- Quantity: 5gm
- Ingredients : Sheabutter (Butyrospermum Parkii), Beeswax (Cera Alba), Cocoa Butter (Theobroma Cacao), Kokum Butter (Garcinia Indica), Sunflower Oil ( Helianthus Annuus), Almond Oil (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis), Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Madhu (Honey), Carrotseed Oil (Daucus Carota Sativa), Licorice (Plycyrrhiza Glabra), Peach Ext (Prunus Persica Kernel), Wheatgerm Oil (Triticum Vulgare), Aloevera Ext (Aloe Barbadensis), Grapeseed Oil (Vitis Vinifera), Apricot Oil (Prunus Armeniaca), Avocado Oil (Persea Gratissima), Grapeseed Oil (Vitis Vinifera), Mulberry Ext (Morus Alba Leaf), Turmeric (Curcuma Longa)
Peach lip balm is enriched with natural conditioning oils, moisturizing shea butter and antioxidant vitamins which nourishes for immediately softer, more beautiful lips. Its natural long-lasting moisture results in instant smooth & velvety lips. Since what we apply over the lips can easily get ingested, this peach lip balm is organic in nature and is made using natural herbs that are safe and gentle on your lips.
Best Lip Balm For Men In India 2019
Sometimes, even the most well-groomed man, who pays attention to every single detail about his sartorial ensemble can easily forget the importance of a moisturizing and nourishing lip balm. The thin skin around your mouth also needs attention to prevent it from flaking, bleeding and cracking. Regular application of a lip balm goes a long way in keeping your lips, soft, smooth and moisturized.
Below is a list of Top 6 best lip balms for men that will give you healthy looking lips in a jiffy.
Best Lip Balm With SPF In India 2019
Most people are now aware that sunscreen is a non-negotiable part of the daily routine to protect the face from harmful UV rays. Just like our face, our lips are also sensitive to the harmful rays of the sun. Since the skin around your mouth is thinner, it is even more vulnerable to UV damage.
Below is a list of Top 10 Best Lip Balm with SPF In India 2019 that will not only moisturize your pout but also protect it from the harmful rays of the sun.
Best Lip Balm for Dark Lips in India 2019
Who doesn’t love an appealing smile? A lovely smile can instantly brighten up a room. Beautiful lips make your smile even more attractive. But, when the lips become pigmented and dark, it just takes away from the beauty of that smile. Dark and pigmented lips have become a constant problem these days. Excess tea & coffee consumption, exposure to the sun, smoking, anaemia & eating disorders and neglect in taking care of the lips lead to pigmentation. An effective lip balm with SPF, healthy nutrients and nourishing elements can help hydrate, soften, nourish and lighten your lips.
Below is a list of Top 10 Best Lip Balm for Dark Lips in India 2019 that will get back the original colour of the lips.
Lip Balm Buying Guide – How to choose the best lip balm?
Always check the lip balm ingredient list to confirm if the lip balm that you are eyeing on is 100% natural or not. If the ingredient list mentions chemicals, petroleum products, or artificial additives like manufactured waxes, petrochemicals, alcohol, silicon dioxide, etc, then that lip balm is not herbal. Natural ingredients of lip balm include beeswax, cocoa butter, shea butter, Aloe Vera, Jojoba oil, etc.
2. Sun Protection:
Although not absolutely necessary, choosing lip balms that have SPF and offer protection from the UVA and UVB sun rays are a great buy as they help prevent the lip skin from sun tan and hyper-pigmentation.
Some lip balms are colourless and only add a slight shimmer to your lips. However, there are many tinted lip balms that are available in a variety of colours and you can choose from shades of pinks, oranges, reds, etc.
Flavoured lip balms taste amazing and there are multiple options with a lip balm for every taste, mood, and preference, literally! You can choose from a wide range of flavours namely Strawberry, Cherry, Papaya, Pineapple, Coconut, Orange, Lemon, etc.
Most lip balms are unscented but options are available to choose from herbal or fruity scented lip balms as well!
Choosing natural fruit and floral extracts for flavour, colour, and fragrance is way better than using artificial colours and other synthetic additives. There are a large number of lip balms that have no additives and are prepared from extracts of mint, rosemary, eucalyptus, and thyme.
7. Dermatologically Tested:
If you have sensitive skin, you must choose products that have been dermatologically tested. Also, make sure to do a patch test on a small area of your lip skin before using a generous coat of the lip balm on your lips.
Lip balms are primarily available in two packaging types – solid form where the lip balm is packed in a tube or a twisted container and can be applied directly or a creamy consistency lip balm that is packed in a small container and has to be applied with the fingers.
9. Water Resistant:
There are some brands that manufacture water-resistant lip balms that stay on the lips even after contact with water. Although a bit costlier than the usual, the extra feature of being water resistant makes them totally worth the additional money.
10. Cruelty-free Production:
Most renowned brands have adapted to cruelty-free production of lip balms. Their products are never tested on animals and no animals are harmed during their manufacturing process. If this is something important to you, make sure you check the manufacturing details before making a purchase!
Benefits of Using a Lip Balm – How does lip balm help your lips?
1. Moisturizes the lips:
As the skin of the lips is thinner than the skin of the face and the body, it chaps and peels off much easily. It is thus vital for you to take care of the delicate lip skin and use a lip balm to keep your lips moisturized and hydrated all throughout the day.
2. Quickly heals the lips:
Dry and chapped lips can be quite embarrassing. Even one application of a lip balm is sure to soothe your lips and smoothen their texture. Regular usage will ensure healthy looking lips in just a few days!
3. Protects from UV rays:
If you buy a lip balm that has SPF, it will not only moisturize your lips but also protect them from the harmful UV rays of the Sun. Lip balms with SPF are mostly available in two variants – SPF 15 and SPF 40.
4. Removes pigmentation:
If you have uneven lip skin tone or hyperpigmentation on your lips, everyday use of a lip balm can help you achieve visibly lighter lips and make you look pretty!
5. Makes them appear suppler:
A lip balm can help you get rid of the dry and cracked lips. You can easily achieve plump, moisturized, and youthful lips for the movie star pout with just a few applications of your choicest lip balm.
6. Offers the desired sheen:
Lip balms offer just the desired amount of sheen that is apt for an everyday look. If you are not wearing any make-up, even a single coat of your favourite lip balm can instantly make you look dolled up.
7. Helps retain moisture:
Daily use of lip balms helps prevent moisture loss and protects your lips from drying out frequently. Lip balms offer essential lip care for the super soft, smooth, and glowing lips.
Homemade Lip Balm – How To Make Lip Balm?
You will need
- Sweet almond oil
- The essential oil in any flavour you like
- Beet juice
- Vitamin E gel casts
Melt equal parts beeswax, honey and almond oil in a microwave-safe container. Try two tablespoons of each to start. This mixture burns easily so keep an eye on it by taking it out at 10-second intervals.
Mix the melted ingredients together and stir in 1/2 of a teaspoon of the essential oil of your choice. For an extra nourishing balm open a couple of Vitamin E gel caps and squeeze the liquid into your balm base.
For a hint of colour, add a teaspoon of beet juice.
Pour the balm into lidded containers and let it cool before covering.
Frequently Asked Questions About Lip Balms
Lip balm or lip salve is a wax-like substance applied topically to the lips to moisturize and relieve chapped or dry lips. Lip balm often contains beeswax or carnauba wax, camphor, acetyl alcohol, lanolin, paraffin, and petrolatum, among other ingredients. Some varieties contain dyes, flavour, fragrance, phenol, salicylic acid, and sunscreens. The primary purpose of lip balm is to provide an occlusive layer on the lip surface to seal moisture in lips and protect them from external exposure.
Applying Lip Balm from an Applicator
1. Uncap the container and take out a small quantity of lip balm. Depending on the type of lip balm you choose, there are several ways to retrieve it. While tube-based balms use a dial at the bottom to raise the balm, gel-based lip balms are squeezed through a tiny hole in a lipstick-shaped applicator tip. Liquid-based lip balms, on the other hand, come with a doe foot applicator.
2. Apply a thin, even coating of the balm to the lips and the area just outside of the mouth to keep it nourished and moisturized.
3. Draw in your lips to evenly spread excess lip balm. This will spread the balm over areas near the mouth that also become chapped or cracked.
Applying Lip Balm With Your Fingers
1. Use your index finger to take a small quantity of lip balm. First, apply it to the centre of the bottom lip, and then work your way toward the corners.
2. Gently massage your lips until they are properly and evenly coated with healthy and nourishing lip balm.
Always moisturize your lips at night to ensure you wake up with smooth, soft lips. Lip balm should be a regular part of your bedtime routine because during the night your skin temperature rises to flush out toxins and produce new skin cells. Applying lip balm at night will help keep these new skin cells smooth. During the daytime, instead of reapplying the balm every hour, limit yourself to one or two swipes.
Just like our face, our lips are also sensitive to the harmful rays of the sun. Since the skin around your mouth is thinner, it is even more vulnerable to UV damage. SPF also known as sun protection factor is a relative measure of how long a cosmetic will protect you from UVA and UVB rays. SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays, SPF 30 blocks 97% of UVB rays and SPF 50 blocks 98% of UVB rays. Dermatologists recommend using a SPF15 or SPF30 sunscreen.
Using an expired lip balm can cause breakouts, dry skin problems, and even rashes and infections, doing more harm than good to your skin.
Apply a nude colour lipstick or light colour lip gloss to your lips first and then apply a layer of the lip balm. This makeup trick will help to make your lip balm last longer on your lips.
1. Use a toothbrush to buff your lips. This is good for exfoliation, good for circulation and effective in getting rid of the dead skin cells on your lips. Once you’re done, use a warm cloth and wipe off your lips so that they are clean. Then apply nonpetroleum jelly on your lips.
2. Put a little bit of lip scrub over the lips and gently massage them. You will slowly feel it start to melt and then turning into oil. This will remove all the dead skin cells and make your lips healthy. If you don’t have a lip scrub, make your own at home. All you need to do is mix one tablespoon of organic brown sugar in one teaspoon of coconut oil.
3. Natural ingredients like Aloe Vera gel, Coconut oil, Honey, Cucumber and Green tea are also effective in healing chapped lips.
Most people really can’t overuse a lip balm. The problem will occur, though, if you develop an irritation, sensitivity or allergy to one of the ingredients of the lip balm.
Certain lip balms might have scents or fragrances, and these might lead to irritation because an inviting fragrance might make you more prone to licking your lips and then that act of licking and the saliva can cause some damage and irritation.
It is also recommended to avoid lip balms that have ingredients like peppermint oil or menthol.
The best natural lip balms contain either beeswax or shea butter — something which is rich enough to sits on your lips and doesn’t absorb too quickly and protects your lips from getting dried out later.
You do want to make sure that your natural lip balm doesn’t contain too much essential oil. A lot of the balms do contain essential oil because it makes the lip balm smell better and more fun to use but essential oil can dry up the lips.
Natural ingredients like Lemon, Turmeric paste, Aloe Vera gel, Coconut oil, Rose water, Olive oil, Pomegranate extract, Cucumber juice, Strawberry, Almond oil, Honey, Sugar, Beets, and Mustard oil can naturally lighten dark lips.
Any good and effective lip balm should contain the following ingredients Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Beeswax, Sweet Almond Oil, Macadamia Oil, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E and Hyaluronic Acid.
Avoid lip balms that have Parabens, petroleum jelly, mineral oil, butylated hydroxy anisole (BHA), butylated hydroxy toluene (BHT), Fragrance, Flavour, Phthalates, Chemical sunscreen (Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Homosalate) and synthetic colours.
Conclusion – Which lip balm is good?
Whether you are looking for a quick remedy for your chapped and dehydrated lips, or are in search of products for everyday lip care and moisturization, the above list of top 10 lip balms for winters in India is your go-to list for all product details and comparisons.
We have clearly outlined the most popular ones above and now it is your turn to choose the best lip balm as per your requirement and budget. If you go out in the sun too often, choose a lip balm that has SPF 40 and if you want your lip balm to add a tint of colour to your lips, select a coloured lip balm in the numerous available shades from various renowned brands as listed above.
Shop for your favourite lip balms from Amazon India online store and enjoy exclusive cashback with numerous discount deals!
Loved our blog on Best Lip Balms In India 2019? Do share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Last Updated on