Best Dehumidifier: If you want to know which is the best dehumidifier for your home, then you’ve come to the right place. We have reviewed a wide-selection of dehumidifiers from the best dehumidifier makers in the business today. You can be sure that in this guide, you’ll find the best dehumidifier that is ideal for every home and budget.
In the spring and summer months when the temperatures rise so does the humidity. While a certain amount of humidity in your home is preferable, too much can have a variety of negative effects. Excessively damp air can aggravate respiratory issues like asthma and allergies, lead to warping of hardwood floors and peeling wallpaper and cause the growth of mold and mildew. Plus, it’s really uncomfortable. Humid weather keeps your sweat from evaporating, which is the body’s natural cooling method, leaving you feeling hot and sticky.
The solution to all these problems is to run a dehumidifier – a small appliance that removes excess moisture from the air in your home. They can be used to bring down the humidity on sticky summer days or to help with cleanup after a flood or basement seepage.
Top 10 Best Dehumidifier For Your Home
We have put together a decent selection of the best dehumidifier that do the job better than most. All of these dehumidifiers perform exceptionally well and have various other features. They are also highly regarded by both users as well as professional reviewers.
Top 10 Best Dehumidifier For Your Home – Reviewed
- ANSIO Electric Portable Mini Dehumidifier
- POWER PYE ELECTRONICS 3-in-1 Dehumidifier
- Sharp HD Plasmacluster 2-in-1 Dehumidifier
- Koryo Dehumidifier
- Pro Breeze PB-02-US Dehumidifier
- ORIGIN Plastic Dehumidifier
- WHITE WESTINGHOUSE INTERNATIONAL COMPANY Plastic Dehumidifier
- Decdeal Invitop Mini Dehumidifier
- Pure Enrichment Dehumidifier
- Honeywell Portable AC With Dehumidifier & Fan
1. ANSIO Electric Portable Mini Dehumidifier
- Portable and compact dehumidifier to remove mold, moisture and dampness.
- Ideal for use at home, office, bathroom, kitchen for improving the quality of air.
- Dehumidifying capacity of approximately 250ml per day at 30°C (86°F) and RH80% with maximum water tank capacity 500ml.
- Automatic shut off when the water tank is full for safe operation.
- Comes with a 2 Year warranty.
2. POWER PYE ELECTRONICS 3-in-1 Dehumidifier
- LED Display
- Water Tank Capacity: 5.5-liter
- Has 20-liter daily water extraction
- Oscillating function: between 45 to 90 degrees
- Humidity control range: 40 to 80 % for 280-380 sq. ft room
- Temperature display range: 1 degree Celsius – 35 degree Celsius
- Comes with auto-frost technology
Why We Recommend It?
Excess humidity in your home – especially during the summer months – is more than just uncomfortable for your family. Excessive dampness encourages the growth of mold, mildew and dust mites. Air conditioning units partially dehumidify the air but, often, this is not enough. Dehumidifiers work alone or as a supplement to an air conditioner to control dampness in the rooms most susceptible to the damaging effects of excess humidity: bathrooms, kitchens and basements.
Powerpye dehumidifiers are designed for home use, and are available in various sizes with different features to ensure you select the right unit for your personal environment. Look for a model designed for the room size in which it will be used, as well as automatic shut-off and built-in air filters. The Powerpye Dehumidifier is the perfect dehumidifier which will suck out the humidity from the air inside the room so that you can be more comfortable. It is ideal for a large room, with an approximate size of 30m x 60m. Also, it has an extraction rate of 20 liters for maximum energy efficiency. It has an air flow of 165CBM per hour with a variance of 10 per vent. The device emits very little noise, with sound emission of less than 50dB. It has a humidity control of 40 per cent to 80 per cent. The Powerpye Dehumidifier uses R-134A refrigerant which is CFC free, and is very environment friendly.
3. Sharp HD Plasmacluster 2-in-1 Dehumidifier
- Auto dehumidifying equipped with temperature and humidity sensor
- Laundry dehumidifying direct airflow for vapid drying
- Mold proof and virus inactivated
- Disperses high-density plasma cluster ions which can inactivate airborne viruses, bacteria and allergens.
- 180-Degree airflow: The louver direction and air swinging selection provide wide dehumidifying and deodorizing function
- Maximum air delivery is around 180 degree
- The only Dehumidifier with Plasma cluster Ion Generator with True HEPA, Active Charcoal Filter & Pre-Filter for superior and holistic performance for use all year round.
- Full Function Dehumidification function maintains humidity levels
- Coverage Area (sq. feet) - Air Purification up to 300 & Dehumidification up to 240
- Water Tray Capacity - 3 Liters or Continuous Drainage, Anti-bacterial and Water Level Indicator
- Modes: Auto Dehumidifying, Laundry, Deodorizing, Auto, Low, Medium & High
- Pre-Filter: Mesh type
- Filter Life: up to 2.5 years (For HEPA & Active Carbon)
- Sensors & Indication: Humidity, Odor & Tank Full
- Warranty: 1 Year, ONSITE
- Maintains ideal Humidity
- Kills Virus/ Bacteria/ Mold/ Fungus
- Eliminates VOCs & Toxic gases
- Reduces Static Charge
- Reduces Suffocation & Staleness
- Removes Dust (PM2.5 & PM 10)
- Removes Pet Hair & Dander
- Removes Smoke / Pollen
4. Koryo Dehumidifier
- High Moisture removal capacity (L/24h): 25L
- Silver Ion Filter
- Digital Display and control panel
- Adjustable Humidistat RH 30% - 90%
- Bucket full indicator
- Filter wash reminder
- 24 hours Timer
- Auto shut-off if bucket is full
- Silent Operation
- 400W power consumption
- 4.5L bucket capacity
- Warranty: 1 Year on product
Why We Recommend It?
The dehumidifier is easy to use and attractive. It makes your life easier, simpler and better. The ultra-stylish design adds to the beauty. The unique features and performance make it a quality product with higher stability and durability.
Easy to Operate: The dehumidifier is easy to use as the function are flexible and can be easily controlled.
Filter Wash Reminder: It is advanced and smart filter technology reminds filter wash which effectively reduces humidity and takes off all dirt and dust.
Air Flow: It reduces the moisture level in the air making it humidity and dust free with balanced air flow.
5. Pro Breeze PB-02-US Dehumidifier
- Electric mini dehumidifier
- 1200 cubic feet (150 sq ft)
- Compact and portable
- Size: 150 sq. ft
- For damp air mold moisture in home kitchen bedroom basement caravan office garage
- Extracts up to 9 ounces of moisture per day
- Large 18-ounce capacity water tank
- Auto-Off and LED indicator when full
- Energy efficient with low power consumption
- Ultra-Quiet Peltier Technology (Thermo-electric cooling)
- Compact, portable and lightweight moisture absorber
- Ideal for home, office or caravan
- For use in temperatures above 59°F
Why We Recommend It?
With Low Energy Consumption & Whisper Quiet Operation: This brand-new mini dehumidifier from Pro Breeze quickly and efficiently removes moisture from the air. It is perfect for use in small spaces such as your kitchen, garage, basement, caravan, wardrobe, boat or anywhere else prone to high humidity. It utilizes advanced Peltier technology which is not only extremely energy efficient but whisper quiet too, allowing you to run it all day and night without any loud or disturbing noises.
Ultra-Quiet and Energy Efficient: Utilizing thermoelectric (Peltier) cooling that is whisper quiet and energy efficient with a low power consumption, this mini dehumidifier is perfect for use in bedrooms, bathrooms wardrobes and caravans.
Large Water Tank & Auto Shut-Off: When the 18-ounce water tank has reached maximum capacity, a convenient indicator light lets you know it is full – the mini dehumidifier will then automatically switch off until the tank has been emptied.
Easy to Dispense Water: When the water tank is full, simply remove it from the dehumidifier, pull the plug out and empty it into a sink or drain via the easy-to-use water outlet. Then, simply place it back into the dehumidifier and switch it on again.
6. ORIGIN Plastic Dehumidifier
- Material: Plastic
- Colour: White
- Size: Standard
- Included a plastic mesh pre-filter
- 12 liters/day extraction capacity.
- Recommended Coverage area is up to 1500 cu.ft (industry) / 2500 cu.ft (home)
- 165 watts power consumption, makes it the lowest power consuming dehumidifier in Asia
- 2.5 liters tank capacity, continuous drainage option available.
- Programmable Timer, convenience on finger tips
- Auto Restart and Auto Resume: Switches on when the power resumes at the same humidity setting
- Digital Display to view temperature and set humidity at your desired level
- Semi Air Purification with HEPA and carbon filter ensuring clean air at all times
7. WHITE WESTINGHOUSE INTERNATIONAL COMPANY Plastic Dehumidifier
- Extremely silent, Air Purifying filter
- Power reciprocating compressor
- Automatic humidistat control
- Auto Defrost control
- Automatic Reset
- Full Water warning signal
- Easier Mobility with convenient wheels
- The dehumidifier keeps your living places dry by absorbing the water vapor in the air
- Gives you clean and fresh air by removing dust particles
8. Decdeal Invitop Mini Dehumidifier
- Effectively helps remove moisture and mold in your rooms.
- Create a comfortable, no mildew environment for you and your family.
- Designed with plenty of moisture absorbing holes to dehumidify the moisture effectively.
- Ultra-quiet design, it can run quietly without disturbing your sleep, work or study.
- Automatically shut off when full of water with 700ml large capacity (Yellow LED will turn on), safe and reliable.
- Built-in desiccant crystals, if the crystals are full of moisture, the indicator will be in dark green color.
- Warranty not applicable for this product
- Plug Type: EU
- Color: White
- Material: ABS
- Power: 23W
- Voltage: DC 9V
- Noise: 33dB
- Cooling Element: Thermo-Electric Peltier Module
- Tank Capacity: 700ml (Max)
- Working Capacity: 300ml/day (at 30℃, 80%RH)
- Coverage Area: 10-15 sq. meters
- Widely suitable for rooms and poorly ventilated areas, such as kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room, office, basement, closet, wardrobe, cabinet, etc.
9. Pure Enrichment Dehumidifier
- Made to eliminate excess moisture from closets, bathrooms, boats, kitchens and other small rooms and spaces
- Advanced humidity control extracts moisture from the air for comfortable breathing
- Whisper-quiet operation is perfect for quiet settings like a nursery or office
- Automatic shut-off safety feature turns the unit off when the water tank is full or to prevent overheating
- Transparent water tank makes it easy to keep track of the water level and to empty the tank when it is full
- Swiss compact design - Sleek look blends well with any décor
Why We Recommend It?
Advanced humidity control: Extracts moisture from the air to reduce your home’s humidity levels and reduce the risk of attracting mold, mildew and other moisture-loving allergens
Whisper-quiet operation: Operates so quietly in the background that it’s perfect for peaceful settings like a nursery or office
Auto safety shut-off: Turns off the dehumidifier when the water tank is full or at risk of overheating
Transparent water tank: Makes it easy to keep track of the water level and to empty the tank when it is full
Swiss Compact Design: The unit’s sleek, portable design is the perfect size to keep your bathrooms, closets, and other small rooms free from excess moisture year-round. Use regularly to maintain comfortable humidity levels and to keep your home free from irritating allergens like dust mites, mold and mildew.
10. Honeywell Portable AC With Dehumidifier & Fan
- 3-in-1: cooling, dehumidification & fan
- Easy DIY (Do-It-Yourself) installation
- Digital control panel with soft-touch buttons
- Automatic on-off timer & auto evaporation system
- Exhaust hose, drain pipe & window bracket included
- Ideal for spot cooling
- The compressor, condenser and evaporator are housed in a single compact unit
- The air is dehumidified and cooled while a flexible air outlet hose sends heat outside
- The product includes a window venting kit.
- Cools rooms 350- 450 sq. Ft.
- Thermal overload protection for added safety & peace of mind
- Automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool air evenly for fast & consistent cooling
- Dual filters designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance
- Filters clean easily under a faucet for easy maintenance
- 24-hour energy saving timer & remote control with digital display included
Why We Recommend It?
Enjoy Peace of Mind: Built-to-last, a Dual Filtration system protects & extends the life of the AC, while thermal overload protection on the compressor and motor, means extra safety precautions for added endurance and peace of mind for you and your family.
A More Breathable Space: The Washable Dual Filtration System filters dust, pet dander and hair from entering the unit – Protects & extends the life of this AC bringing you value, while also helping to reduce impurities in the air and is easy to clean by running the filter under a faucet.
Save Time, Save the Heavy Lifting: All accessories are included for a quick installation on vertical or horizontal windows. Roll the AC to your preferred cooling area, set up the window kit, switch the AC ‘On’ and Voila! Immediate cooling without the heavy lifting of traditional window ACs.
Save Energy, Save Money: Reduce the energy consumption of whole-house central air conditioning by setting up a Honeywell Portable AC in rooms that you actually use.
Quiet Operation: Honeywell Portable AC’s dual motor technology means lower noise levels. At the highest speed setting, the Contempo Series portable ACs produce between 49 to 52 decibels (depending on the model BTU). That’s about the sound level of an average conversation between two people in a quiet room!
Set It & Forget It: Enjoy simple & precise room climate control with the Honeywell Portable AC Smart Digital Thermostat system. Clear digital controls & a full function remote control with digital display makes it easy to change settings from across the room.
Energy Saving Sleep Mode: The Sleep Mode is a pre-set 10-hour program that increases the temperature at fixed intervals, so you can save energy when you are least active. Sleep Mode reduces the temperature gradually near the end of the cycle so you can start your day in a cool room again.
Easy to Maintain, Easy to Store: The Self-Evaporation system means bucket less operation. In higher humidity rooms, the unit is equipped with dual drainage options offering you flexibility. A continuous drain system can be set up in minutes when used as a Dehumidifier. At the end of the season, simply roll the AC into a storage room until next time!
Dehumidifier Buying Guide
Houses with humidity levels above 60% can become breeding grounds for dust mites, mildew, and mold. A dehumidifier can help to significantly improve your air quality. Here’s what to take into account when you pick a dehumidifier
1. Type of Dehumidifier: Dehumidifiers are of two types – The Condensation and the Desiccant type. If your room temperature is above 10 degrees, we recommend the Condensation dehumidifier & for the room temperatures below 10 degrees, we recommend desiccant dehumidifiers.
2. Capacity: Dehumidifiers are generally classified by the amount of water they can remove in 24 hours.
Small dehumidifiers are rated take out about 25 to 40 pints of moisture per day from an area between 300 and 500 square feet. Consider this size if you’re putting it in a smaller area with low humidity. A small dehumidifier is a good choice for a bedroom or a living room.
Medium dehumidifiers are rated to remove between 50 and 60 pints of moisture per day from an area between 700 and 1000 square feet. These are a good choice for an area that feels excessively damp or with walls and floors that are wet from seepage.
Large capacity dehumidifiers are rated to remove between 70 and 75 pints of moisture per day from an area of around 1,500 square feet. These units are suitable for unfinished basements that are prone to flooding or excessive seepage.
3. Placement: All dehumidifiers take up about the same footprint – around a square foot. Make sure to leave some space around the dehumidifier to allow for airflow – usually about 12 to 14 inches from the wall. There are also whole-house dehumidifiers that claim to handle an area of up to 3,000 square feet. Some are portable while others can be hooked into your central heating or air conditioning system.
4. Integrated air filter: Dehumidifiers with an integrated air filter help clean the air as they dehumidify, creating a healthier atmosphere in your home. They’re great for people who suffer from seasonal allergies.
5. Direct drain option: In humid environments, the bin can fill up in eight to twelve hours and may need to be emptied by hand several times a day. To save you the trouble, you can attach a hose to most dehumidifiers and divert the condensed water directly to a nearby drain. If you don’t have a floor drain consider a model with a pump.
6. Full tank alert: When a dehumidifier reservoir reaches capacity, it shuts off. A full tank alert will let you know when it’s time to empty that reservoir. Some models have an external viewing slot that lets you see the bin’s water level.
7. Digital Display: A digital display lets you program specific humidity levels. It measures the amount of moisture in the air and adjusts the thermostat accordingly letting you dial in a precise and desired humidity level.
8. Multiple fan speeds: Multiple fan speeds let you adjust the operating speed of the unit based on the relative humidity of your space. They allow the dehumidifier to operate more quietly when needed.
9. Auto defrost sensor: Most dehumidifiers have a sensor that automatically turns off the dehumidifier if frost forms on the coils to melt it so as not to cause any damage.
10. Energy Efficiency: Look for an Energy Star rating when you buy a dehumidifier. These models will generally use 15% less energy to remove the same amount of moisture.
11. Quiet Operation: Noise can be a nuisance, especially if the dehumidifier is in or near a bedroom. Dehumidifiers with multiple fan speeds can run quietly when needed. It’s not a bad idea to test a dehumidifier’s noise level before you make your purchase.
12. Mobility: Wheels or casters can help you maneuver a heavier model from room to room. A long power cord will also enable you to put the unit anywhere you want it.
13. Washable Filters: Some models have filters that protect the coils from dirt and dust. Make sure these filters can easily be removed and are washable, a task that should be done about twice a month.
14. Other special features:
Auto-restart: In case of a blackout, auto-restart turns the dehumidifier back on with the same settings.
Easy-to-Empty Bucket or Tank: Look for a tank that’s easy to slide in and out. A handle makes it simpler to lift one full.
Timer: A timer allows you to run the unit while you’re not home. You can also set it to run during off-peak hours to save electricity.
Clean-Filter Alert: Some models have an indicator light to tell you it’s time to clean the filter.
How to Drain a Dehumidifier Automatically?
There are three ways to drain your dehumidifier. You’re probably familiar with the manual method. Pretty much every residential dehumidifier has a bucket on the front that’s used to collect the water. Just remove this bucket, carry it to a sink or outside and dump! This method is simple, but not always convenient. Especially if your bucket fills up multiple times a day. Most people prefer a more hands-off automatic approach.
One option is to set up a gravity drain.
First, find the drain port. It’s usually on the back of your unit. Remove the cap and the rubber stopper. Use the drain cap to screw the hose back into the unit. Lead the other end of the hose to a nearby drain. As the water collects, instead of building up inside the bucket, it flows down the hose and into the drain. Many dehumidifiers come with a hose for this. But if yours doesn’t, then you can just use a standard garden hose or any other type of tubing.
Like the name suggests, gravity draining relies on gravity to move the water. So, make sure that you choose a drain destination that’s lower than your dehumidifier. Otherwise, the water won’t drain properly.
Automatic External Condensate Pumps
What if you want to drain your dehumidifier automatically, but you don’t have anywhere to drain it using gravity? One option is to elevate the dehumidifier using a chair, table, or whatever else you might have.
Or you can use a condensate pump, which pumps the water vertically and allows you to drain the water into a sink or outside a window. Some dehumidifiers have an internal condensate pump so all you have to do is attach the hose to the pump port and you’re ready to go. If your dehumidifier doesn’t have an internal condensate pump, you can buy an external one.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dehumidifier
Setting your ideal humidity level too low could wear out the dehumidifier because it is always running. The ideal humidity level is around 35% to 45%. Higher than that encourages mold and bacteria to grow, while less than that can draw moisture out of furniture and make it crack.
Anything above 45% to 50% will start to damage materials long term, plus fuel the growth of dust mites, rot and everything else you don’t want.
If the unit is hot, it means that there is a fan or another component overheating.
1. A lack of airflow can make any motor get hot. Check that you don’t have junk stacked in front of the air intake. Clean the filters and clean the coils.
2. Check the condenser. The condenser removes heat generated by the cooling process. It must be kept clean of dust, lint, dirt to ensure proper operation and to prevent compressor overheating.
3. Another possibility is that the de-icer is malfunctioning. If you have a basement grade dehumidifier, the unit has a de-icer to melt that initial frost that forms on most dehumidifiers. If the de-icer stays on and gets really hot, you have your cause.
4. Ice accumulation on the dehumidifier cooling coil can reduce the unit’s operating efficiency and can cause compressor overheating and compressor failure.
1. Check the drain hose from the condenser for a blockage, though that is rare.
2. Check to see if the drain hose is not quite aimed for the bucket.
3. Verify that the water container is flush against the dehumidifier slot for it and not at an angle.
4. Also, check to see if the dehumidifier itself is level. If you pushed it into the corner and it’s sitting on a crumpled up carpet, the thing may spill water over the edge.
5. Check whether the bucket itself has a leak. You may need to fill it up and see if something spills out, in case they are fine cracks.
6. The float valve may be bobbing and not staying steady. In that case, it could let the thing overfill before shutting off if not splash some water around.
To select a dehumidifier model, we need to know the capacity of humidity to be removed from your room. We can calculate the dehumidifier sizing by considering your Room dimensions, Temperature, Humidity. You can calculate the capacity in liter per day, which is the difference between the present humidity and the desired humidity in terms of an equivalent volume of water.
To determine what size dehumidifier you need for your desired area, simply multiply the square footage by the average height. This will give you the cubic footage. Cubic footage is something that is listed with nearly every dehumidifier so you can easily compare to see if it will cover your desired area.
Dehumidifiers are essentially small air conditioners, the difference being that instead of cooling the air, dehumidifiers warm the air up. It all starts with the built-in humidistat which monitors the ambient conditions of the area based on your desired setpoint. If the conditions fall outside of the setpoint, the unit will switch on and the fan motor will draw air into the machine. Next, the air is drawn across the cold evaporator coils causing the moisture and air to condense. At this point, the condensation will drip into the drain pan. Meanwhile, the cold air continues traveling to the condenser coils which warm up the air. Finally, the warm dry conditioned air is blown out of the dehumidifier. When the float indicates that the bin is full, the fan and compressor turn off. Once the bin is empty, the process begins again.
1. Preventing dust mites, mold and mildew growth
2. Managing asthma and allergies
3. Pest control
4. Maintain the structural integrity of your home
5. Reduce odors that can accompany mold and mildew
6. Reduce skin and respiratory system irritation
7. Reduces signs of rust or corrosion
8. Protect your home from pest infestation
1. Water stains on the walls or ceilings
2. High humidity in rooms
3. Frequent condensation on walls & windows
4. Small black spots (mold spores) growing on the walls or in areas with high humidity
5. Musty or mildew smells
6. A damp basement
Dehumidifiers can be placed in basements, laundry rooms, crawl spaces, and indoor pool areas since these areas often have moisture problems.
Most manufacturers recommend placing your dehumidifier at least six inches away from walls or any other solid structure that may hamper airflow into and out from the dehumidifier.
While a dehumidifier does not generate cold air, it does help to cool a room. It removes the humidity from the air, leaving the atmosphere cool and comfortable in the home.
The answer to this question is yes, and no. Whether or not you can leave your dehumidifier on overnight will largely depend on what type of appliance you have. All dehumidifiers vary in size and power. As such, there’s really no universal limit on how long to run them.
We strongly recommend buying the Honeywell Portable AC With Dehumidifier & Fan with its amazing features and high accuracy in purification and dehumidification.
The selection of the most suitable dehumidifier for your home may vary based on various factors like the type of dehumidifier, capacity, placement, auto defrost sensor, etc. We hope our article gives you the relevant information required to make an informed buying. In case you are unable to find the Best dehumidifier here, head over to Amazon India to browse through the store’s exhaustive collection.
In case, you require any further assistance to select the Best dehumidifier, please comment below and we will get back to you with the best possible solution.
Loved our blog on Best dehumidifier? Do share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Last Updated on