According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the air inside homes can be up to 5 times as polluted as outdoors.
The reason being how buildings are constructed and things we bring indoors that release harmful contaminants.
The best air purifiers in India will help you reduce sickness causing elements by purifying the air in your home.
India during festive times, such as Diwali or the wedding season can get incredibly polluted. Delhi and other metropolitan cities can get even more polluted due to the sheer amount of people which leads to vehicle pollution and desperately high concentration of allergens.
Delhi ranked the worst during Diwali of 2019, with the AQI (Air Quality Index) of well over 400, acceptable AQI being 50-100.
Air purifiers are a newer technology that actively work to improve air quality by filtering harmful microscopic elements that can cause irritation or sickness.
Everything about Air Purifiers in India
- How Air Purifiers work: Air Purifiers use a system of internal fans to pull the air from your home, this air is passed through multiple filters that remove harmful airborne particles like dust, pollen, smoke and bacteria. The purified air is then let back into the room and helps to keep the indoor environment healthy.
- What do Air Purifiers do: Air Purifiers not only cleanse the air indoors but also get rid of bad odors, cooking smells, allergens from pets, second-hand tobacco smoke, even dust before it settles in your home.
- Do Air Purifiers help against germs and sickness: Yes, Air purifiers filter the air indoors and helps to fight disease-causing germs and bacteria. True HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestance) air purifiers with UV bulbs capture and neutralize up to 99.97% of airborne germs that might get you sick.
- Air Purifier Ratings: ACH and CADR ratings are the most overlooked by consumers while purchasing an air purifier.
ACH stands for Air Changes Per Hour and explains how many times the device can change the air indoors with clean and fresh air. ACH ratings are 4x,5x,6x or greater. 4x ACH rating means the air will be purified 4 times in an hour. Higher the number the more efficient the device is at cleaning the air inside a room.
CADR, or Clean Air Delivery Rate gives you an objective understanding of how effective the device is in purifying the air with respect to the size of the room. Since CADR is not well regulated around the world, it may or may not be 100% accurate with its apparent explanation. It also only measures efficiency against pollen, dust and smoke.
Air Purifiers India : Buying Guide
Types of Air Purifiers
Air purifiers range from the generic fan type, an Eco-friendly and non-electric version, Ultra Violet purifier, ionic and carbon filtration versions are available as well. With varieties to choose from, it is essential that you find the one that best suits your needs. Read through to choose what purifier works best for you and how to purchase the best air purifiers in India.
1. HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Absorption) Filtration
HEPA filtration method is the highest standard in air purification. HEPA filters use a dense paper filter to trap contaminants and purify the air.
Purifiers with the label “True HEPA Filter” is certified to trap 99.97% of the airborne contaminants. Inferior products that claim to be “HEPA-Type” or “HEPA-Like” amount to 600% less efficiency to the “True HEPA Filters” kind. Look for the True HEPA label to make an educated purchase.
HEPA filters efficiently remove a variety of sickness causing contaminants and is a big help to people with respiratory issues. HEPA purifiers use a rotating fan to pull in air so it can be loud, they also do not clear out odors and are generally expensive to purchase and maintain due to constant filter replacing.
2. Carbon Filtration
Carbon based purifiers use special activated carbon with numerous absorbent pores, to trap fumes and odors due to the activated carbon’s large surface area. Carbon filtration does not remove particles and contaminants, but helps with cleaning out the odor indoors. Carbon filtration is best used to help with pet and cooking smells, fumes and help with making indoors smell great. They are relatively cheap, easy to replace and some of them are even non-electric.
3. Ionic Filtration
Air purification using ions is done by emitting a cloud of charged ions into the surroundings to latch onto particles and contaminants. This forces these impurities to fall onto the surface. A few of such purifiers use an electrostatic collection plate that attract these fallen particles and removes them from the surroundings.
Ionic filtration method is quite efficient in removing contaminants from the atmosphere, but said contaminants remain on the floor or the surface until collected. A collection plate is necessary to clean up all residue, which makes maintenance a bit of a task as the collection plate needs to be cleaned regularly with soap and water. This method also does not affect odors but is relatively inexpensive and helps with keeping the air clean quite effectively.
4. Ultra Violet Filtration
Ultra Violet (UV) filtration method uses UV-C band of the ultra violet spectrum, completely harmless to humans, that destroys pollutants in the air. The UV light is contained in the purifier and does not leak out. It is efficient in getting rid of bacteria and germs in the air that might cause harm. UV filtration does not come as a stand alone device and comes as an added bonus with other filtration devices like A HEPA with UV filtration enabled.
UV light essentially lasts forever and hardly needs replacement and causes a sterile and germ free environment.
Classic and smart enable are two sub-types of air purifiers. Classic type are the traditional version with no feedback from the device. You have to trust that it is cleaning the air efficiently, while smart enabled purifiers have a dedicated app which gives you tonnes of data on how well the device is working and tracking air quality in real time.
Features to look for in an Air Purifier – Buying Guide
Features such as warranty, maintenance cost, noise level and energy consumption are also just as important and varies with make and model.
- Filter Replacement Indicators – Indicators that alert you when it is time to replace the filters can be really helpful for places with higher levels of pollutants. Essentially keeping the purifier running at full potential at all times.
- Adjustable Fan Speeds – Air purifiers can have adjustable fan speed settings, ranging from low to high. Some purifiers even include a turbo button to speed up the purification process.
- Digital Controls – Digital controls provide precise settings for air quality control as compared to a traditional push button design.
- Pre-filter – A pre-filter captures large particles, like dirt and hair and essentially extends the life of the internal filters. They are washable and can be reused for as long as possible.
- Programmable Timer – Timers help with energy saving. This feature shuts off the device after a set amount of time so that no more energy is used than required.
- Rolling Wheels or Casters – Casters help with portability and can be rolled to different parts of a room or different rooms entirely with lesser effort.
- Air Quality Sensors – An automated service that monitors the air for specific pollutants and automatically adjusts the purifier to properly deal with these pollutants.
- PlasmaWave Technology – An alternative for using negative ionic purifiers, they do not emit ozone as a by product and uses water vapor to achieve similar effects as an ionic purifier.
- Antimicrobial Treatment – A coating that prevents the build-up of bacteria and microorganisms on internal filters, it helps with increasing the lifespan of filters and prevents the re-release of said bacteria back into the air.
- Photocatalytic Oxidation (PCO) – A more advanced filtering process, coupled with the UV purification method to destroy harmful organic compounds, bacteria and germs from the air.
- Mobile App – A mobile app lets you fully control the features of the air purifier. They help with monitoring data and gives real-time information about the cleanliness of the air and the pollutants present in the room.
- Nightlight – A nightlight to easily find the device in a dark room.
- Remote Control – A remote control to use the device from a distance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Air Purifiers
Do air purifiers really work?
Air purifiers are legitimate and work well against disease-causing bacteria and help clean the air indoors. Filters in a purifier are effective in clearing out most pollutants and contaminants. Pet dander, hair and dust are also filtered out helping the room smell better and the air cleaner.
How do air purifiers work?
Air Purifiers use a system of internal fans to pull the air from inside your home, this air is passed through multiple filters that remove harmful airborne particles like dust, pollen, smoke and bacteria. The purified air is then let back into the room and helps keeping the indoor environment healthy.
What are the best air purifiers in India?
Air purifiers come in all standards, sizes and features. Depending on personal needs, a general consensus proves that HEPA purifiers are not effective against most pollutants while helping with air quality and smell. The Manufacturer is an essential detail to look for until the device has gone through tests and provided proper ratings.
Can air purifiers be harmful?
Air purifiers work in cleaning out pollutant rich air by using a number of filtration methods. Most purifiers have no by products in the process of cleaning the air indoors. Ionic purifiers on the other hand, do emit ozone as an end product and can cause irritation for people with respiratory issues. A quick check before purchase will assure you will get the right product for your lifestyle.
Why can indoor air pollution be up to 10 times worse than outdoor air pollution?
Indoor air can be highly contaminated, sometimes worse than outdoors. Since we bring a lot of contaminants inside with us and the amount of chemicals used in construction of buildings are also harmful, at home they accumulate and settle on the floor or on furniture. It is helpful with a purifier as it collects contaminants and cleans the air before harmful particles have time to settle in your home and cause health issues.
How often I need to replace filters in Air Purifier?
Some purifiers come with an indicator that alerts you when a replacement is in order. For devices absent of this feature, check the manual for recommended time to change filters. It can be anywhere from 3 months to a year from purchase.
How much space can an air purifier cover?
Based on the design, air purifiers can work for big rooms or smaller ones. Check specifications for particular devices to find out the suggested size of the room for acceptable results.
How often does an air purifier need to run?
Purifiers sometimes come with an automatic feature that helps to regulate itself and run for as much as it is needed. Otherwise, you can use the device for an entire day. Start with the max setting and when desired results are achieved, set to a lower setting for uninterrupted clean air.
How efficient are air purifiers at cleaning the air?
Air purifiers can remove up to 99.99% of pollutants indoors. Depending on make and filtration techniques, purifiers can clean air very efficiently. Manufacturers often mention their capabilities with the product and details can be found in the manual as well.
What are the types of indoor pollutants?
Indoors can be way more polluted than outdoors given particles can settle inside your home and cause irritation and sickness. Amongst many others, dust, mold, pet hair, chemical residue after construction and various types of bacteria and viruses are prevalent indoors. An air purifier can help minimize and even completely destroy contaminants that cause sickness.
Do air purifiers make your house smell better?
Certain purifiers are made specifically to reduce irritable odors in the house. Cooking and pet smells are the most common type of odors purifiers are made to help against.
Where should I place my air purifier?
The most objective place for a purifier is the center of the room. If the sight of the device is the middle is bothersome, against the wall is a good idea too. The purifier must not have any furniture in close vicinity that blocks the air being pulled in. An open space with a clear view of the entire room is the best to keep the device in.
How long does it take an air purifier to clean a room?
Air purifiers actively help with filtering contaminants. Depending on the size of the room with respect to the air purifier itself, it can take upto a few hours for a room to be clean enough. The device can be left running on low settings after desired results are achieved to help the flow of cleaner air indoors.
How many air purifiers do I need?
Air purifiers are best used in living rooms and bedrooms as most of our time is spent there. Bedrooms are a must for air purifiers to ensure pollutant-free sleep. A portable device can also help with the cleansing of multiple rooms.
Adamant in keeping your house clean? Check out our top picks for vacuum cleaners in India.
Best Air Purifiers in India Reviewed – Updated 2021
With air pollution a constant fear in the modern world, we can strive to keep our indoors clean and avoid sickness. We at Khojdeal compiled the best air purifiers in India to help you with your endeavors to stay healthy.
1. Dyson Air Purifier : HP04 – Pure Hot + Cool
A British company that recently moved its headquarters to Asia, produces home appliances and is a huge manufacturer of home products. Its main focus is Asia, manufacturing and supplying hundreds of products worldwide.
- Purification plus heating functionality.
- Automatic sensors with air quality index reporting feature.
- 360° HEPA filter with activated carbon capture. Captures 99.95% of harmful ultra-fine pollutants.
- Patented Air MultiplierTM technology, 350° oscillation with personalized angle feature
- Suitable for medium to large size rooms with coverage area of up to 600 sq.ft.
- Energy efficient. Wattage : 40W (at max. setting) on air purifier mode.
- Certified Asthma & Allergy Friendly by AAFA (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America) .
- Heater mode, Diffused mode, 10 speed settings, auto mode, night mode, sleep timer, Wi-Fi & bluetooth enabled.
- Easy filter change with notification on mobile app. Digital display for notifications on filter changing requirements.
- 2 years warranty.
2. Mi Air Purifier – 2C with True HEPA Filter
A Chinese manufacturer and investor, Xiaomi is headquartered in Beijing, China. Ranked 468th, Xiaomi is the youngest company on Fortune Global 500 List for 2020.
- True HEPA filter with filtration efficiency of 99.97 percent for particle size up to 0.3 microns.
- 360 Degree Air Intake for efficient filtration.
- CADR of 350 m3/h.
- Coverage Area of up to 452 Sqft
- DIY (Do It Yourself) Filter change
- One button control for easy operation
- Auto mode available
- 1 year warranty from date of purchase.
- Power : 29 Watts.
3. Mi Air Purifier 3 : Smart, with True HEPA Filter
Xiaomi, the Chinese manufacturing giant started in 2010, is one of the fastest-growing smart products manufacturing companies and has heavy investments in India, Malaysia and its largest market, China itself.
- True HEPA Filter with filtration efficiency of 99.97% for particle size up to 0.3 microns.
- OLED touch Display with real-time PM2.5 concentration, temperature and humidity, also Wi-Fi enabled.
- Smart app control, Rated Frequency: 50/60 Hz
- Works with Google assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- 360 Degree Air intake with 3 Layer Filtration
- High CADR of 380 m3/h
- Effective coverage area upto 484 sqft.
- DIY (Do It Yourself) filter change; Refer to manual.
- 1 year warranty.
- Power: 38 Watts.
4. KENT Air Purifier – Aura Room, 45-Watt with HEPA Technology
Kent RO Systems is an India based company headquartered in Noida, India. They are a leading manufacturer for health care products, now diversifying into other aspects of the healthcare business.
- High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestant (HEPA) filter type.
- Coverage area: 290 sq. ft. / 27 sq. meters.
- Input Power Supply: Single Phase 200-240 V, AC 50/60 Hz.
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR): 180 m3/hr.
- 1 Year Warranty.
- HEPA dust collection technology, specially treated carbon filter.
- Inbuilt ionizer to improve the air quality and refreshing air in the room.
- Child lock feature for safety purposes.
- Wattage : 45 Watts
5. Coway Air Purifier : Sleek Pro AP-1009, Patented Urethane Carbon Filter & Green Anti-flu HEPA Filter
Coway is the top consumer and household electronics company from South Korea. Started in 1989, it specializes in air and water purity. Also, Coway is one of the most consumer satisfactory brands in the household market today.
- 3 years warranty on air purifier motor and 1 year on electrical parts.
- Purifier coverage area : 355 sq. ft.
- CADR : 303 cubic m/hr.
- Silent operation and automatically optimizes air quality using specialized dust sensors.
- Unique Air Filtration Process – Pre-Filter, Patented Urethane Carbon Filter (To Deodorize the air), Our Multi Layered HEPA Filter effectively traps PM 2.5 particles allowing only clean air to pass through.
- Sleek and innovative flow path design, allowing for a more efficient and maximum airflow.
- Speed adjustment with 4 different speed steps (1-3 and turbo).
- Real-time air quality indicator.
- Longest HEPA Filter Life: 8500 hours, Pre Filter: Life Long Patented Urethane Carbon Filter: 8500 Hrs HEPA filter.
- Gross Weight: 7.5 Kg
6. Dr. Charcoal Non-Electric Air Purifier
An unconventional air purifier, this non electric variation of the device is 100% Eco-friendly and creates zero noise pollution. Place it in a place with good airflow.
- Deodorizer and Dehumidifier for Shoe Rack, Wardrobe, Fridge, Gym Bag.
- Removes bad smell, moisture, pollutants and allergens. Prevents molds and mildew.
- Lasts for over 1 Year.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Significantly affordable than electric air purifiers and conventional air fresheners.
- 100% non-toxic, scentless, and highly Eco-friendly.
- Safe to use around children and pets.
- Comes in a variety of colors and sizes.
7. Philips Air Purifier : AC1215/20, with 4-Stage Filtration
Philips, a leading manufacturer of Indian household good and devices, steps up into the healthcare air purification industry with innovation and extreme design features. The Philips Air Purifier has 3 automatic purification settings: a General mode, an extra-sensitive Allergen mode, and an extra-powerful bacteria and virus mode.
- Vitashield Intelligent purification automatically senses air quality and products Effective Filtration Size (in microns – 0.02 and for 0.3+ microns is 99.97%).
- Purifies a standard room in just 12 minutes with a CADR of 270 m3/hour.
- Recommended room area: 226-333 sq feet.
- 4 Stage Filtration process through pre filter, activated carbon filter & double layered H13 Grade TRUE HEPA Filter.
- 4-color air quality indicator gives real time air quality feedback
- Removes 99.90% bacteria and viruses, tested to remove airborne H1N1 virus.
- Removes 99.99% pollen and house dust mites, Allergy friendly quality tested by ECARF.
- 100% Ozone free and natural filtration.
- Also comes with a carbon filter upgrade.
- Warranty: 2 years, to 3 years extended warranty worth Rs 3000 available free on product registration.
8. Philips Air Purifier : AC2887/20 High Efficiency
Philips, the Dutch super manufacturer came a long way from the first of its products, a light bulb. Now to a international electronics conglomerate, Philips is trustworthy, reliable and reasonable. Their air purifying devices are held to the same standards. Their design and innovation brings convenience to households. Vitashield IPS, used in their air purifiers, with its aerodynamic design and NanoProtect Pro Filter has a boosted clean air delivery rate up to 270 m3/hr .
- High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestant (HEPA) filter type.
- Coverage area : 441 sq. feet. Suitable for bedroom/living room.
- Air quality sensor : Aerasense PM 2.5 sensors; Real-time PM 2.5 measurement and display with professional grade sensing technology.
- CADR : 333 m3/hr.
- Dedicated pollution, allergen and bacteria/virus auto modes.
- 100% ozone free.
- 2 years warranty.
- Easy returns : Eligible for full refund within 10 days of delivery in case of any product defects, damage or features not matching the description provided.
9. Honeywell Air Purifier : HAC25M1201W Air Touch A5
Honeywell is an USA based conglomerate that produces commercial and consumer products, engineering services and aerospace systems. They also manufacture and supply the semiconductor industry with electronic chemicals, electronic polymers, targets coil sets and metals, advanced packaging, and thermocouples.
- Versatile Coverage upto 323 sq. ft perfect for a room with 9 feet high ceiling.
- CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) – 250 m3/h.
- Three stage advanced filtration system that removes pollutants with more than 99% efficiency.
- Washable pre-filter that removes larger dust particles, pet hair/dander, soil etc.
- Combined filter with High-efficiency HEPA and activated carbon filter that removes any microscopic pollutant and allergens above 0.3 microns including PM2.5 and pollens.
- Also removes removes formaldehyde, toxic gases, VOCs & odour.
- Completely ‘Ozone Free’ Air Purifier.
- Approximately 3000 hours of filter life, can work for a year if used for 8 hours daily
10. Blue Star Air Purifier : BS-AP300DAI 444CMH
Blue Star, an Indian brand is the country’s second largest homegrown player in the air conditioning space. The company specializes in designing, developing, manufacturing and marketing a wide variety of products in the air conditioning and commercial refrigeration industry and is headquartered in Mumbai, India.
- SensAir (Auto mode) Technology and Microbe DeActiv + PM 2.5 LED Display.
- Digital timer with settings of 1,2,4 and 8 hours for user preferred time of auto switch off.
- HEPA and Active Carbon filters.
- 4 Stage Purification.
- Coverage Area- 300 Sq.Ft.
- Powerful CADR – 444CMH.
- Silent mode available.
- Filter clean alarm and change indicator (720 hrs) .
- Turbo mode and timer.
- Warranty 2 years from the date of purchase
With the increase in air pollution, especially in metropolitan cities, the need for fresher air has people either moving to other non-busy areas and towns or taking a lot of vacations. Do not compromise with your health. Read up on our master-plan to buy the right air purifier for yourself and for the benefit of your family. Scientifically proven facts suggest that living in a pollutant heavy environment causes various health issues and might end up reducing your lifetime.
Find time to look for a product that serves you, keeps your family from breathing in heavy concentrates of harmful oxidants and contaminants. Khojdeal is here to help! Read through this article to find which device fits best with your current requirements and buy among the best air purifiers in India.
Loved our blog on Best Air Purifiers in India? Do share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.